Rail strike called off

PROPOSED strike action which would have brought rail services to a standstill across East Anglia has been called off, it was revealed today.The National Union of Rail Maritime and Transport Workers (RMT) had called the strike action for Saturday and Monday September 17 over the sacking of a guard.

PROPOSED strike action which would have brought rail services to a standstill across East Anglia has been called off, it was revealed today.

The National Union of Rail Maritime and Transport Workers (RMT) had called the strike action for Saturday and Monday September 17 over the sacking of a guard.

But today One railway said it had been told the action had been cancelled.

“We understand the action is not now going ahead but we don't have any further details over why,” said a One spokeswoman.


You may also want to watch:


“Our passenger services will now run as normal on both those days.”

Last month 100 guards and ticket staff in Essex took action follows the sacking of guard Paul Yarwood after an incident with a fare evader on June 7 at Colchester North station.

Most Read

He denies head butting the man, who had been abusive to passengers and allegedly assaulted another person. The fare evader is not pressing charges.

The RMT said it would ballot 800 staff of One railway across Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Essex over a suggested two-day all-out stoppage.

No-one was available to comment today from the RMT.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter