Ram raid at Co-op in Lavenham
A car smashed into the middle of a Co-op store in another ram raid in the region early this morning but a targeted cash machine was not stolen, police have said. The East of England Co-op has doubled its reward to £40,000 to help catch the criminals.
A Suburu estate vehicle was “reversed right through into the middle” of the Co-op Foodhall store in High Street, Lavenham at around 1.15am this morning, a force spokesman said.
He described the damage as “reasonably extensive” but said the ram raid has “not caused massive structural damage”.
It is believed a cash machine was targeted but it was not stolen, a force spokesman said.
“They were not successful,” he said.
The East of England Co-op has doubled a reward to catch those responsible to £40,000. Details here.
It is believed that nothing else was targeted or stolen in the Lavenham ram raid this morning.
Police said that the offenders fled the scene after the vehicle was driven into the store.
- 1 Appeal to find 33-year-old missing man
- 2 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 4 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 5 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
- 6 Nursing class looking to reunite after four decades
- 7 Drug addict stole £7,000 from safe at auction house
- 8 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 9 Six police cars at scene of bungalow fire
- 10 Town to gather to remember flood victims 69 years on
A crime scene remains in place while police investigate.
There have not been any arrests.
The ram raid was reported to police by “multiple sources”.
One witness said there was glass and items from the store, particulary “chocolate boxes”, strewn across the pavement outside the shop.
“It is right in the middle of the store,” he said. “I’m not quite sure how it managed to reverse all the way in there.
“There are quite a few people around, including police and Co-op staff I believe.”
Suffolk Constabulary statement (5.15am)
Police were called to the Co-op Foodstore, High Street Lavenham, following a report of a ram raid at 0115 hours this morning.
A Suburu estate vehicle was driven in to the store, and was left in situ by offenders before they fled the scene. A crime scene remains in place whilst an investigation continues.
Witnesses to the incident are asked to contact Suffolk police on 101 quoting incident reference SC-21122017-16.