Rape accused cleared by jury
A MAN accused of raping a woman while she was semi-conscious has been cleared by a jury.Jurors at Bury St Edmunds Crown Court took two hours to find Jonathan Sheldrake, 19, of Norwich Road, Mendlesham, not guilty of raping the nightclubber - who claimed she was attacked after she banged her head.
A MAN accused of raping a woman while she was semi-conscious has been cleared by a jury.
Jurors at Bury St Edmunds Crown Court took two hours to find Jonathan Sheldrake, 19, of Norwich Road, Mendlesham, not guilty of raping the nightclubber - who claimed she was attacked after she banged her head.
During the two-day trial, which ended on Thursday, the jury heard the woman had been enjoying an evening out in Stowmarket in June last year.
Peter Fenn, prosecuting, said the defendant met the woman in Jokers nightclub and then bumped into her again in the town at 2am.
You may also want to watch:
The woman claimed Sheldrake tried to kiss her and then pulled her towards him. She said she fell backwards and banged her head against a window, knocking herself out. She claimed she was being raped as she came to.
She said she went to a nearby public toilet and returned to find Sheldrake had disappeared along with her handbag.
- 1 Ipswich crack cocaine and heroin dealer jailed
- 2 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 3 Air ambulance lands near Ipswich shops after medical emergency
- 4 Closest Covid testing hub to Ipswich town centre forced to close
- 5 Ipswich tops rankings for Suffolk's Japanese knotweed infestations
- 6 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 7 Ipswich Hospital gets new tech to stop people overpaying for parking
- 8 Joy as Shotley Pier finally set to reopen after being derelict for over 30 years
- 9 Man in 30s dies in serious crash between two cars in Wherstead
- 10 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
Sheldrake denied raping the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, but admitted a charge of theft.
He will be sentenced for taking the handbag later this month.