Rape charge man cleared
A MAN has today been cleared of raping an Ipswich woman while her children slept upstairs.Toju Adekunle was found not guilty of raping or indecently assaulting the woman he met at a Bramford Road house party on February 5 last year.
A MAN has been cleared of raping an Ipswich woman while her children slept upstairs.
As reported in later editions of yesterday's Evening Star, Toju Adekunle was found not guilty of raping or indecently assaulting the woman he met at a Bramford Road house party on February 5 last year.
Judge John Devaux directed the Ipswich Crown Court jury to return not guilty verdicts on both counts.
He said there was insufficient evidence available for the jury to reach proper conclusion.
During the trial the court heard that Adekunle, 34, of Barking, Essex had been "kissing and dancing with" the complainant throughout the evening.
All five adults at the party had been drinking and when the woman left the party to take her children home Adekunle had gone with her.
- 1 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 2 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 3 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 4 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 5 Motorist angry over £100 'fine' at Ipswich car park
- 6 A12 partially reopens after crash near Copdock Interchange
- 7 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 8 Retired Felixstowe nurse fears eviction after struggle to find social housing
- 9 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 10 Stowmarket man with foot fetish sexually assaulted woman
Adekunle said after the children were asleep he and the woman were kissing and touching sexually on her sofa.
He told the court she was drunk and began ranting about her ex-boyfriend which made him angry.
Adekunle said he held the woman by her wrists to calm her down but she managed to punch him in the face giving him a bloody nose. Adekunle phoned his friend and said the woman was going to accuse him of rape.