Rapist given four year jail term
A SAXMUNDHAM man has been sentenced to four years in prison for raping a woman.Clifford Harding, 39, of Mayflower Avenue, pleaded guilty to committing the rape, on July 18.
A SAXMUNDHAM man has been sentenced to four years in prison for raping a woman.
Clifford Harding, 39, of Mayflower Avenue, pleaded guilty to committing the rape, on July 18.
Ipswich Crown Court heard that Harding, who knew his victim, had climbed over her fence to get to the back of her house.
The victim let Harding in, but was then set upon by him. Harding was said to have covered his victim's mouth while he carried out the act.
You may also want to watch:
Police were called and later arrested Harding, who suffers from alcohol problems and depression. The victim had suffered internal injuries resulting from the attack, which could not be explained by Harding.
In a tearful admission to his solicitor, he admitted carrying out the rape.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 3 'My life is on hold' – Ipswich man's plea for life-changing surgery
- 4 'Kind and caring' friend of the football community dies
- 5 Did you enjoy a night out at Splitz Bar in 2002?
- 6 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 7 Historic Waterfront church to be new Ipswich music venue
- 8 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 9 Risk of thundery showers this evening, say forecasters
- 10 New Ipswich fine food store is back - and smoked eels prove a hit
In a written statement, the father-of-two said: "What she is saying is right. I know I shouldn't have done it. I raped her."
Judge Devaux said the offence was aggravated by the fact that he had put his hands over his victim's mouth.
"This would have been likely to have caused her great distress," he said.