Ravenswood: Dad sheds the pounds after amusement park ride refusal
- Credit: Archant
WHEN a father-of-two was refused entry to an amusement park ride because staff were unable to pull the safety bar down, he knew a change was necessary.
Carl Hawes, who is from Ipswich but currently living in Woodbridge, became determined to lose weight after he was asked to get off the ride during a family holiday in Norfolk.
The 37-year-old joined the Ravenswood branch of Slimming World in July last year when he tipped the scales at 19st 2lb.
And after giving up snacking on sausage rolls, crisps and bacon sandwiches – Mr Hawes has lost more than five stone and has achieved his target weight of 14st.
He said: “I would definitely say that losing the weight has changed my life because it has made me a lot healthier and I am happier with my weight now.
“I have reached my target weight and now it is all about maintaining it.
“Being told I couldn’t go on the ride at the amusement park with one of my daughters because the safety bar wouldn’t go down was the final straw.
- 1 Man found unconscious in Ipswich alleyway following serious assault
- 2 Suffolk woman and her three dogs die in London crash
- 3 Brother of Ipswich murder victim to roll out bleed control kits across town
- 4 Striking new seafront café opens its doors to customers after two-year wait
- 5 Charity match held in memory of Tavis Spencer-Aitkens
- 6 £1million house with extensive grounds up for sale near Christchurch Park
- 7 Omid Djalili cracks Ipswich joke at Queen's Platinum Jubilee show
- 8 Hopes pre-built extension plans will attract bigger acts to the Regent
- 9 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 10 Meet John Cook the next mayor of Ipswich – and a Norwich City supporter
“I knew I had to do something. My diet has completely changed because I no longer snack on bad foods and that has made a massive difference.”
Mr Hawes is also now a keen cyclist and rides several times a week.
Although he has now reached his target weight, Mr Hawes said he will continue attending the weekly Slimming World sessions to help keep the weight off and because he is involved in the social side of the group.
Emma Howells, who runs the group, said: “I am incredibly proud of Carl and so happy that he made the decision to join my Slimming World group, he is such a happy, confident person now and his enthusiasm for food optimising is infectious.”
The Ravenswod Slimming World group meets every Wednesday with meetings beginning at either 5.30pm or 7.30pm.