Reaction as Ipswich is ranked as the UK’s 13th unhappiest place
- Credit: Archant
The Mayor of Ipswich has dismissed a report ranking the town as the UK’s 13th unhappiest place saying his experience is that there are “a lot of happy and content people about”.
The Office of National Statistics asked a sample of 180 people in the town to rate “how happy they were yesterday” on a scale of one to ten.
Although Ipswich clocked a score of 7.26, one of the lowest in the UK, Mayor Roger Fern said this does not fit in with his view of the town.
He said: “Everywhere there are people who are not laughing all the time or happy all the time but certainly in my experience there are a lot of happy and content people about.
“If they did come a few weeks ago and met some Ipswich Town FC fans they may have met some unhappy people.
“But if they were about on Monday they would have met a lot of people with big smiles on their faces.
“I think the sample was far too small and certainly inaccurate view of the town.”
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 3 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 4 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 5 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food around Ipswich
- 6 Open day for Ipswich pub on sale for £300,000
- 7 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 8 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 9 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 10 Did you know these 10 pubs were open in Ipswich?