First enormous abnormal load to move out of Ipswich this morning
- Credit: Archant
The first of four huge electrical transformers for Suffolk’s off-shore windfarm will be heading out of Ipswich to Bramford this morning.
Ten police cars will escort the abnormal loads from Ipswich Docks to Wherstead Road and Bourne Bridge over two weekends from around 7-8.30am.
The transformers were built in Spain and are a major part of the £2.5billion East Anglia ONE Offshore wind farm.
In preparation for this morning’s big move traffic signals, street lighting columns, road signs and traffic islands will be removed from the area.
Wherstead Road will be completely shut for short periods and on-street parking will be obstructed through Sproughton along B1113, High Street, Loraine Way and Bullen Lane.
You may also want to watch:
The convoy will be travelling out of Wherstead Road on the following route:
• Left out of port and cross central reservation onto the northbound carriageway
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 4 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 5 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 6 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 7 Cardinal Practice 'access issues' to be discussed at key NHS meeting
- 8 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 9 Watchdog upholds mother's complaint about handling of son's special education needs
- 10 Two people rescued after search off Harwich coast
• Cross Ostrich Creek Bridge on wrong side of road and turn right onto A137
• With a rolling road block in place, join the A14 in the wrong direction for one junction (56-55)
• Continue onto A14 junction 55 eastbound off-slip and turn tractor units around
• Turn left onto A1214 heading north
• Cross the roundabout continuing onto A1214
• At the traffic lights turn left onto A1071
• At the roundabout turn right onto B1113 and negotiate Sproughton
• Turn left onto Bullen Lane
For drivers travelling eastbound on the A14, Suffolk Highways are diverting traffic from Ipswich docks to the A137 Hawes Street, Vernon Street, Star Lane, Grimwade Street, Duke Street, Holywells Road, Landseer Road, Nacton Road, A1189, A14 (J57), A14 (J56) and vice versa.
The rest of the transformers will be moved on October 28, November 3 and November 4.