First enormous abnormal load to move out of Ipswich this morning
- Credit: Archant
The first of four huge electrical transformers for Suffolk’s off-shore windfarm will be heading out of Ipswich to Bramford this morning.
Ten police cars will escort the abnormal loads from Ipswich Docks to Wherstead Road and Bourne Bridge over two weekends from around 7-8.30am.
The transformers were built in Spain and are a major part of the £2.5billion East Anglia ONE Offshore wind farm.
In preparation for this morning’s big move traffic signals, street lighting columns, road signs and traffic islands will be removed from the area.
Wherstead Road will be completely shut for short periods and on-street parking will be obstructed through Sproughton along B1113, High Street, Loraine Way and Bullen Lane.
The convoy will be travelling out of Wherstead Road on the following route:
• Left out of port and cross central reservation onto the northbound carriageway
- 1 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
- 2 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 3 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 4 WATCH: Adorable family of foxes enjoy play time at an Ipswich doorstep
- 5 Developer criticised for 'failing to meet obligations'
- 6 'We are both in love' - Ed Sheeran announces birth of second daughter
- 7 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 8 See inside stunning £1.15m home a stone's throw away from Christchurch Park
- 9 Jail for man who drove stolen car at police officers
- 10 Parking woes for shop parade hit by 'continous roadworks'
• Cross Ostrich Creek Bridge on wrong side of road and turn right onto A137
• With a rolling road block in place, join the A14 in the wrong direction for one junction (56-55)
• Continue onto A14 junction 55 eastbound off-slip and turn tractor units around
• Turn left onto A1214 heading north
• Cross the roundabout continuing onto A1214
• At the traffic lights turn left onto A1071
• At the roundabout turn right onto B1113 and negotiate Sproughton
• Turn left onto Bullen Lane
For drivers travelling eastbound on the A14, Suffolk Highways are diverting traffic from Ipswich docks to the A137 Hawes Street, Vernon Street, Star Lane, Grimwade Street, Duke Street, Holywells Road, Landseer Road, Nacton Road, A1189, A14 (J57), A14 (J56) and vice versa.
The rest of the transformers will be moved on October 28, November 3 and November 4.