Readers tell of trouble getting dentists
FIFTY per cent of Evening Star readers who took part in a poll say they cannot get registered with an NHS dentist in Suffolk.The shocking figures come less than a month after The Star revealed one Felixstowe dentist had a waiting list of 800 people.
FIFTY per cent of Evening Star readers who took part in a poll say they cannot get registered with an NHS dentist in Suffolk.
The shocking figures come less than a month after The Star revealed one Felixstowe dentist had a waiting list of 800 people.
In Suffolk there are just 14 practices taking on new patients and at some the waiting list is up to seven months long.
Out of 25 dentists within a mile of Ipswich not one was taking on health service patients in February.
The Evening Star website survey revealed that 50pc of those who took part could not find an NHS dentist to register with, let alone get an appointment at one.
In fact 138 people logged on to our website to complain they are not getting the treatment they deserve.
- 1 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 2 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 3 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 4 Dog rescued from flat fire
- 5 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 6 Man dies following single vehicle crash near Ipswich
- 7 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 8 'Vile violation of trust' - son hits out after carer stole £1,700 from mum
- 9 A14 closed overnight as lorry overturns in multi-vehicle pile up
- 10 Politicians make Ipswich a third division town
More than 14pc of those who took part also said that despite being registered at a dentist who carries out NHS work they found it difficult to get an appointment.
Just 98 people, representing 35pc of those who took part in the poll, said they were registered to an NHS dentist in the county and had no trouble getting an appointment at their surgery.
Last month Malcolm Harbour, of Crescent Dental Care, in Cobbold Road, Felixstowe, explained the surgery's decision to stop seeing NHS patients.
He said: “We now have a waiting list of 800 people and while we will be able to take some of those people on, there is no way we could take most of them because there is only so much work a dentist can do to a reasonable standard in any working day.”