Reece Brown hails Ipswich Town’s battlers
Reece Brown hailed the nine-man Blues after Mick McCarthy’s men were denied a battling point at Nottingham Forest last night.
Lewis McGugan’s deflected shot, five minutes from time, was all that separated the two teams on a fiery night which saw Lee Martin and Richard Stearman dismissed for the visitors by referee David Webb.
Martin only had himself to blame for his first half dismissal, lashing out at Forest’s Henri Lansbury and receiving a straight red, while Stearman picked up a second yellow card for catching Andy Reid in the face as the pair chased a loose ball in the second half.
Town gave as good as they got in a lively first period and were angry at Webb when Martin was seemingly felled in the box, the referee awarding a free kick.
Brown, who was introduced a substitute as McCarthy looked to keep the game tight, said: “We played well with nine men and I don’t think we deserved to lose.
You may also want to watch:
“I thought we were the better team but we have just got to get on with it and look ahead to Peterborough on Saturday.
“Everyone’s head is down but the players know we did not deserve that.”
- 1 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 2 Police release CCTV after wallet stolen from Aldi store in Ipswich
- 3 Woman's bank cards used minutes after being stolen in supermarket car park
- 4 Aldi looking for new site in north east Ipswich
- 5 Police find cannabis growing by the side of A14
- 6 Covid rules reintroduced at Ipswich school after cases surge
- 7 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 8 'I want to train as HGV driver but there are so many delays'
- 9 New Starbucks coffee shop planned for Ipswich town centre
- 10 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
The defeat leaves Town four points clear of the Championship drop-zone, ahead of Saturday’s crunch game at Peterborough.
The London Road-outfit drew 2-2 at home to Charlton last night and could move out of the bottom three with a win at the weekend.