Relief for Hadleigh residents
FEELINGS of shock that Hadleigh's main car park could be the site of a new superstore for the town turned to relief today.Babergh's strategy committee's local plan task group rejected the proposal that would have seen at least 23 house in Inkerman Terrace and Inkerman Close bulldozed to make way for the controversial store.
FEELINGS of shock that Hadleigh's main car park could be the site of a new superstore for the town turned to relief today.
Babergh's strategy committee's local plan task group rejected the proposal that would have seen at least 23 house in Inkerman Terrace and Inkerman Close bulldozed to make way for the controversial store.
Plans for another superstore in the historic town have been causing conflict for years with the Tesco and Buyright sites each being put forward and rejected.
A Babergh spokesman, said: "The recommendation to the full council meeting of Babergh District Council on February 28 will be that its preferred site would be the Brett Works land."
You may also want to watch:
The most likely access to this site would be in Bridge Street, he added.
Today's decision has been welcomed by some of the residents whose homes could have been demolished had the scheme been approved.
- 1 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 2 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 3 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 4 Did you enjoy a night out at Splitz Bar in 2002?
- 5 Kesgrave shooting: Trial date agreed as boy faces attempted murder charge
- 6 'My life is on hold' – Ipswich man's plea for life-changing surgery
- 7 New Ipswich fine food store is back - and smoked eels prove a hit
- 8 Labour lose seats but retain power: Ipswich election results in full
- 9 Historic Waterfront church to be new Ipswich music venue
- 10 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
Jack Salmon, 82, has only lived in his sheltered accommodation in Inkerman Terrace for two months.
He said: "When I heard about what could happen I thought it would go ahead.
"Other people didn't think it would so they will not be surprised with the decision but I am. I am also relieved that I won't have to move but if the worst had happened they would have had to find me somewhere else to go," he added.
One of his neighbours, 89-year-old Richard Hart has lived in his home for four years and said he would not have been happy to have lost his home. "I am happy with the decision," he said.
A public notice has been pinned to garages in Inkerman Terrace since October last year. It is notification that permission is being sought to demolish those buildings and build two almshouses.
Another resident who asked not to be named said: "It seemed a foregone conclusion really that the supermarket would not go ahead if there is a plan afoot to build more homes for elderly people."
N What do you think of the proposal to build a superstore in Hadleigh? N What do you think? Write in to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or email email@example.com or visit the forum at www.eveningstar.co.uk