Relief for market traders
RELIEVED market traders in Felixstowe today thanked their loyal customers after an eleventh hour deal allowed them to continue selling. The town's popular Thursday market, based in Solar's car park, faced the possibility of a three-month suspension because of refurbishments to the store.
RELIEVED market traders in Felixstowe today thanked their loyal customers after an eleventh hour deal allowed them to continue selling.
The town's popular Thursday market, based in Solar's car park, faced the possibility of a three-month suspension because of refurbishments to the store.
Health and safety regulations prohibited trading after it was ruled that the scaffolding required to carry out the work represented a danger to the public.
However, a site at the junction of Garrison Lane and High Road was secured late on Wednesday evening, allowing the market to continue.
You may also want to watch:
Today, green grocer David Downes thanked customers who flocked to the new location despite it being slightly further from the town centre.
The 53-year-old said: “I'm really thankful for the support of customers. It's fantastic.
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 7 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 8 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 9 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 10 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
“They have had to walk a bit further, but the first market at the new site went really well.
“We are probably taking 50 per cent or less than we usually do, but at least it keeps the traders together and it keeps the customers coming to us until we are able to go back to the Solar site.”
The market boasts around 14 traders and has become a popular fixture on the Felixstowe calendar.
Mr Downes, who has not missed a Thursday's trading for 24 years, said it was vital the market continued.
He said: “The market is absolutely crucial.
“There is a positive measurable impact on other businesses, too. The café sells around 35 roast dinners when we are there, but only 15 on other days. And the manager at Solar says they are busier when we are trading.”
The temporary site, which used to car lot, is being leased to the market by a Felixstowe-based businessman.
Are you pleased to see the market continue? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org