Relief for residents after noisy weekend

RESIDENTS in Melton and Woodbridge are enjoying peace and quiet today after a weekend-long rave-type party prompted a flood of noise complaints.Suffolk police was alerted to the gathering, which is believed to have been a wake, on the permanent travellers camp near RAF Woodbridge early on Saturday.

RESIDENTS in Melton and Woodbridge are enjoying peace and quiet today after a weekend-long rave-type party prompted a flood of noise complaints.

Suffolk police was alerted to the gathering, which is believed to have been a wake, on the permanent travellers camp near RAF Woodbridge at 1.30am on Saturday and the loud music continued through the night.

It quietened during the day on Saturday but started up again on Saturday night, once again prompting a flood of complaints to police.

The situation was monitored throughout the weekend and police said the revellers were seen leaving the site last night and no further complaints had been received.


You may also want to watch:


A spokesman for Suffolk police said: “From 1.30am on Saturday we began to receive a series of complaints from residents about noise coming from that site and affecting the residents of Melton and Woodbridge, this being rave-type noise.

“The complaints continued through to about 7am or 8am on Saturday morning.

Most Read

“During the evening (on Saturday) from 9.30pm onwards it appeared the party started up again and we began to receive complaints of loud rave music from that site affecting Melton and Woodbridge.”

The police consulted with Suffolk Coastal District Council over how they should deal with the gathering and officers from the council monitored the noise throughout the weekend.

The police spokesman said: “We used a police helicopter to survey the site and established there is a small gathering of some 40 to 50 people, a number of vehicles and two controlled camp fires.”

The spokesman said the noise coming from the site had been “clearly quite loud” but said police had decided not to “muster” their resources to clear the site.

Some residents expressed disappointment over what they said was a lack of communication about the party.

Christine Block, who represents the Sutton ward on the district council, said the event was fairly low-key compared to a rave which occurred two years ago at Ramsholt, near Woodbridge but added: “I'm fairly disappointed the police haven't actually been on site.

“Information from the police would have been very helpful indeed, even if they did not see the necessity to break the rave up or to manage traffic.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter