Sunshine and Showers

Sunshine and Showers

max temp: 7°C

min temp: 3°C

Search

Teen remains in custody charged in connection with Ipswich stabbing

PUBLISHED: 16:20 16 June 2018 | UPDATED: 10:20 17 June 2018

Two teenagers have appeared in court following the incident at McDonalds Picture: ARCHANT

Two teenagers have appeared in court following the incident at McDonalds Picture: ARCHANT

A teenager will appear in crown court on Monday charged in connection with a stabbing at an outlet of McDonald’s in Ipswich last week.

Forensic teams work at the scene of the alleged stabbing McDonald's in Ravenswood Avenue Picture: ARCHANTForensic teams work at the scene of the alleged stabbing McDonald's in Ravenswood Avenue Picture: ARCHANT

Rishawn Mohammed, of Hurricane Place, Ipswich, made his first court appearance before magistrates in custody on Saturday.

The 18-year-old student faces charges of wounding with intent and threatening a person with a blade or sharply pointed article in a public place.

Suffolk Magistrates’ Court heard the charges related to an incident in the Ravenswood area of Ipswich on Wednesday, June 13.

Police were called at about 7.30pm to reports of a teenager having been stabbed outside the McDonald’s fast food restaurant.

He suffered potentially life-threatening injuries but has since been released from hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.

Prosecutor Michael Crimp told magistrates that the alleged assault “touched the femoral artery” in the teenager’s thigh.

Mohammed, represented by David Thomas, of London-based J Benson Solicitors, gave no indication of plea to the charges the more serious of which, wounding with intent, must be dealt with by a judge at the higher court.

Mohammed, who turned 18 earlier this month, was remanded in custody to appear at Ipswich Crown Court on Monday, June 18.

Meanwhile, a 17-year-old boy, from Ipswich, who can not be named for legal reasons, has been charged with possession of a bladed article, in connection with the same incident, and possession of cannabis.

The teenager appeared at Suffolk Magistrates’ Court on Friday and was bailed to appear before a youth panel of magistrates at the same court on Thursday, June 21.

It is thought the alleged incident began outside McDonald’s and continued inside the restaurant.

A 20-year-old man and a 22-year-old man have both been released under investigation by Suffolk Constabulary, pending further enquiries.

Police said the incident was not directly linked to the killing of 17-year-old Tavis Spencer-Aitkens, who died as a result of a stabbing in Packard Avenue on June 2.

A mobile police unit was set up in the Hening Avenue area of Ravenswood on the morning of Thursday, June 14, while additional high visibility patrols have taken place across Ipswich.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

The family of a brutally murdered Ipswich woman have made an impassioned plea for help in finally bringing her killer to justice, 25 years on.

A police employee has been ordered to repay almost £1,700 in fraudulent expenses claims.

Worried neighbours in an Ipswich street claim brazen drug dealing is taking place in front of children returning home from school.

There is good news for bargain hunters in Stowmarket as a discount store bids to make a return to the town.

A 17-year-old youth accused of being involved in a fight in the car park of an Ipswich McDonald’s restaurant during which a 16-year-old boy was stabbed has admitted an offence of violent disorder.

David Button will lead by example as he joins more than 400 fundraisers to brave the wintry weather on Christmas morning and run into the sea at Felixstowe.

A ground-breaking tech company that recently relocated from Cambridge to Suffolk has been working with University of Essex researchers on technology designed to make our online data safer.

From its ‘Go Bananas’ HQ in Bury St Edmunds, this forest advanture company now employs more than 1,000 people across the UK and the US.

Police are looking to speak to a man in connection with incidents of stalking in the Norwich Road area of Ipswich.

Families on the Ravenswood estate have spoken of their disappointment after it was announced Rudolph and Santa won’t be passing through their streets this year.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Ipswich Star daily newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

MyDate24 MyPhotos24