Teen remains in custody charged in connection with Ipswich stabbing
- Credit: ARCHANT
A teenager will appear in crown court on Monday charged in connection with a stabbing at an outlet of McDonald’s in Ipswich last week.
Rishawn Mohammed, of Hurricane Place, Ipswich, made his first court appearance before magistrates in custody on Saturday.
The 18-year-old student faces charges of wounding with intent and threatening a person with a blade or sharply pointed article in a public place.
Suffolk Magistrates’ Court heard the charges related to an incident in the Ravenswood area of Ipswich on Wednesday, June 13.
Police were called at about 7.30pm to reports of a teenager having been stabbed outside the McDonald’s fast food restaurant.
He suffered potentially life-threatening injuries but has since been released from hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.
Prosecutor Michael Crimp told magistrates that the alleged assault “touched the femoral artery” in the teenager’s thigh.
- 1 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 2 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 3 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 4 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 5 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 6 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 7 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 8 Homes with 'stunning' coastal views by Felixstowe golf club up for sale
- 9 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 10 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
Mohammed, represented by David Thomas, of London-based J Benson Solicitors, gave no indication of plea to the charges – the more serious of which, wounding with intent, must be dealt with by a judge at the higher court.
Mohammed, who turned 18 earlier this month, was remanded in custody to appear at Ipswich Crown Court on Monday, June 18.
Meanwhile, a 17-year-old boy, from Ipswich, who can not be named for legal reasons, has been charged with possession of a bladed article, in connection with the same incident, and possession of cannabis.
The teenager appeared at Suffolk Magistrates’ Court on Friday and was bailed to appear before a youth panel of magistrates at the same court on Thursday, June 21.
It is thought the alleged incident began outside McDonald’s and continued inside the restaurant.
A 20-year-old man and a 22-year-old man have both been released under investigation by Suffolk Constabulary, pending further enquiries.
Police said the incident was not directly linked to the killing of 17-year-old Tavis Spencer-Aitkens, who died as a result of a stabbing in Packard Avenue on June 2.
A mobile police unit was set up in the Hening Avenue area of Ravenswood on the morning of Thursday, June 14, while additional high visibility patrols have taken place across Ipswich.