Thunderstorms

Thunderstorms

max temp: 18°C

min temp: 11°C

Search

Remarkable recovery of burns victim

PUBLISHED: 20:17 13 February 2002 | UPDATED: 11:21 03 March 2010

BURNS victim Jennifer King has made a remarkable recovery following a horrific New Year accident when a microwaveable de-icer exploded in her face.

The 45-year-old bravely warned others of the dangers of using the device after she took it out of the microwave to scrape ice off her car windscreen and it blew up.

BURNS victim Jennifer King has made a remarkable recovery following a horrific New Year accident when a microwaveable de-icer exploded in her face.

The 45-year-old bravely warned others of the dangers of using the device after she took it out of the microwave to scrape ice off her car windscreen and it blew up.

Mrs King, of Burstall Lane, Sproughton, who was left with facial injuries has now fully recovered after her ordeal – just three days into the new year – and has put the nightmare behind her.

"I was just very, very lucky that I didn't lose my sight, that was the main thing," said Mrs King, who had to take three weeks off work after the accident.

"I am fine now. My face is healing up nicely. It really doesn't show unless my face gets hot and it gets a bit red and blotchy."

After the accident she was taken to Ipswich Hospital by ambulance and transferred to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital for specialist treatment.

Mrs King is now using a conventional scraper to remove ice from her car windscreen and has replaced her microwave at home to get rid of the old memories.

"I must admit I was a bit nervous about using the microwave again," said Mrs King, who went back to work two weeks ago.

"I only use the microwave for food now and I did stand well back the first time I used it since the accident."

Mrs King was getting the de-icer out of the microwave when it exploded in the kitchen.

The skin on her face started to peel off and she called her daughter, 18-year-old Lucy Downie,

to telephone for an ambulance.

"When she saw my face she cried," said Mrs King the day after the accident. "When I saw my face in the mirror I could see why.

"I am not bitter about it. I am just grateful I have got my eyesight. I could cope with scarring, but not with the loss of my sight."

She called for a warning to be put on the side of the de-icer to prevent others being injured.

"Different microwaves have different powers," she said at the time. "Ours is a high powered microwave so it heats up quicker but it is probably designed for a less powerful model.

"It says heat up for 20 seconds maximum power or add on ten seconds. It is misleading when you are using the thing on full power. They should add a warning or take it off the market."

Mrs King bought the microwaveable de-icer through the shopping channel QVC, which is a reputable shopping channel.

She is now waiting to hear back from the manufacturers.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists