Residents evacuated during blaze

RESIDENTS at a homeless families unit in Ipswich were evacuated after a blaze broke out in the kitchen.

RESIDENTS at a homeless families unit in Ipswich were evacuated after a blaze broke out in the kitchen.

Fire crews were called to the West Villa unit, in Woodbridge Road East, Ipswich, at 6.50pm yesterday after the fire broke out in the kitchen.

A spokeswoman for the fire service said: “We were called at 6.50pm and once the crew arrived on scene they asked for two more crews to attend.

“The fire was only a small one but the building had become heavily smoke logged and the residents needed to be evacuated.

“We put the fire out by 7.20pm and the residents were allowed back in by 8pm.”

Meanwhile, fire crews from Stowmarket were called to the Solar supermarket, in Coopers Ford, at 9.04pm yesterday after a fire broke out in a paper bank. The blaze was put out by 9.15pm.

Most Read

And crews were called to South Road in Lakenheath after a fire broke out in a loft just after 9.40pm yesterday. The small fire in the converted loft was put out by 10.10pm.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter