Residents shocked by armed raid
SHOCKED residents today spoke of their horror at hearing how armed raiders held up their local pub following jubilee celebrations.Raiders broke in to the Belstead Arms pub in Radcliffe Drive in the early hours of bank holiday Tuesday and made off with record takings of £17,000.
SHOCKED residents today spoke of their horror at hearing how armed raiders held up their local pub following jubilee celebrations.
Raiders broke in to the Belstead Arms pub in Radcliffe Drive in the early hours of bank holiday Tuesday and made off with record takings of £17,000.
Sharon Lungley, 39, of Radcliffe Drive, Ipswich, said: "The first we knew about it was when we saw the police at the pub.
"We had been out for the day and were very tired and did not hear anything during the night.
You may also want to watch:
"Obviously it's a frightening experience but we are not unduly worried for our safety."
Martin Golding, 45, manager of a nearby store, said: "It was quite eery around here yesterday and it's always a concern when something like this happens on your doorstep.
- 1 Ipswich father caught with indecent images of children avoids jail
- 2 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 3 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 4 Woman in 80s remains in hospital after serious collision in Ipswich
- 5 Will Ipswich betting shop be turned into fish and chip shop?
- 6 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
- 7 Ipswich traffic measure 'on its way out' as petition launched
- 8 Plans to close A14 truck stop slammed amid driver shortage
- 9 Women facing prison after admitting robbery in Ipswich
- 10 'Massive success' - see pictures from Ipswich LGBT+ night
"I feel so sorry for the landlord. He went to a great deal of trouble and effort over the bank holiday weekend and put on a lovely show for the community.
" I spoke to him when he popped in to the store and he was really chuffed at the turn out and had really enjoyed the celebrations.
"Unfortunately all his hard work has been lost."