Residents shocked by armed raid
SHOCKED residents today spoke of their horror at hearing how armed raiders held up their local pub following jubilee celebrations.Raiders broke in to the Belstead Arms pub in Radcliffe Drive in the early hours of bank holiday Tuesday and made off with record takings of £17,000.
SHOCKED residents today spoke of their horror at hearing how armed raiders held up their local pub following jubilee celebrations.
Raiders broke in to the Belstead Arms pub in Radcliffe Drive in the early hours of bank holiday Tuesday and made off with record takings of £17,000.
Sharon Lungley, 39, of Radcliffe Drive, Ipswich, said: "The first we knew about it was when we saw the police at the pub.
"We had been out for the day and were very tired and did not hear anything during the night.
You may also want to watch:
"Obviously it's a frightening experience but we are not unduly worried for our safety."
Martin Golding, 45, manager of a nearby store, said: "It was quite eery around here yesterday and it's always a concern when something like this happens on your doorstep.
- 1 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 2 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 3 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 4 Plans to turn Ipswich office into housing resubmitted with fewer flats
- 5 Community left heartbroken by loss of mum Jessica
- 6 Lorry driver charged after £8.5m cocaine seizure
- 7 Could restaurant move into closed Little Waitrose in Ipswich?
- 8 Fake parking fines handed out in Stowmarket
- 9 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 10 'A great shame' - Portman Road won't host county cup finals due to pitch renovations
"I feel so sorry for the landlord. He went to a great deal of trouble and effort over the bank holiday weekend and put on a lovely show for the community.
" I spoke to him when he popped in to the store and he was really chuffed at the turn out and had really enjoyed the celebrations.
"Unfortunately all his hard work has been lost."