Resurgent pub is honoured
A RESURGENT Suffolk pub has stormed its way into a prestigious pub guide – just two years after being ravaged by fire.The historic Ship Inn, at Levington, has earned a place in the Les Routiers Guide to Pubs and Inns 2003.
A RESURGENT Suffolk pub has stormed its way into a prestigious pub guide – just two years after being ravaged by fire.
The historic Ship Inn, at Levington, has earned a place in the Les Routiers Guide to Pubs and Inns 2003.
The popular pub, in Church Lane, Levington, is one of just 450 to have earned a place in the guide, regarded by many as indispensable in finding the best watering holes in the UK and Ireland.
In May 2001, it was little more than a charred wreck with £100,000-worth of damage done to the building. At that time, any hopes of scooping such an accolade seemed a distant dream.
Seventy firefighters had been called to tackle a blaze at the pub for three hours on the morning of May 9, 2001. Although they were unable to save the roof and upstairs living quarters of the 18th Century structure, they prevented the flames spreading downstairs.
Work on restoring the grade II listed building began soon after and it was reopened in April 2002.
- 1 Apology for Ipswich pub landlords after 'insensitive LGBT+ comments'
- 2 ‘I thought I was going to die’ - Woman feels let down after spiking
- 3 'My life is hard enough' - Suffolk disabled dad struggles to repair home
- 4 Gucci items hidden in Asda stores across the country
- 5 More than 200 homes in Ipswich without electricity after power cut
- 6 'A lovely green space' - race against time to buy mini-Ipswich woodland
- 7 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 8 Man acted as lookout while accomplice robbed Ipswich store
- 9 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow
- 10 Ipswich Witches announce two more signings for their 2022 team
It is operated by Pubmaster in conjunction with landlords Mark and Stella Johnson, who took over the tenancy in June last year.
"It's a real honour and is testament to the dedication and hard work of the entire team here at the Ship Inn," said Mr Johnson.