Resurgent pub is honoured
A RESURGENT Suffolk pub has stormed its way into a prestigious pub guide – just two years after being ravaged by fire.The historic Ship Inn, at Levington, has earned a place in the Les Routiers Guide to Pubs and Inns 2003.
A RESURGENT Suffolk pub has stormed its way into a prestigious pub guide – just two years after being ravaged by fire.
The historic Ship Inn, at Levington, has earned a place in the Les Routiers Guide to Pubs and Inns 2003.
The popular pub, in Church Lane, Levington, is one of just 450 to have earned a place in the guide, regarded by many as indispensable in finding the best watering holes in the UK and Ireland.
In May 2001, it was little more than a charred wreck with £100,000-worth of damage done to the building. At that time, any hopes of scooping such an accolade seemed a distant dream.
You may also want to watch:
Seventy firefighters had been called to tackle a blaze at the pub for three hours on the morning of May 9, 2001. Although they were unable to save the roof and upstairs living quarters of the 18th Century structure, they prevented the flames spreading downstairs.
Work on restoring the grade II listed building began soon after and it was reopened in April 2002.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 3 'My life is on hold' – Ipswich man's plea for life-changing surgery
- 4 Did you enjoy a night out at Splitz Bar in 2002?
- 5 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 6 'Kind and caring' friend of the football community dies
- 7 Historic Waterfront church to be new Ipswich music venue
- 8 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 9 New Ipswich fine food store is back - and smoked eels prove a hit
- 10 Risk of thundery showers this evening, say forecasters
It is operated by Pubmaster in conjunction with landlords Mark and Stella Johnson, who took over the tenancy in June last year.
"It's a real honour and is testament to the dedication and hard work of the entire team here at the Ship Inn," said Mr Johnson.