Revamp for resort
ONE of Felixstowe's best-known areas is to be spruced up as part of the regeneration of the resort.Pier Bight – the area in Undercliff Road West in front of the leisure centre – is set to have a £27,500 revamp to make it look smarter and safer for pedestrians.
ONE of Felixstowe's best-known areas is to be spruced up as part of the regeneration of the resort.
Pier Bight – the area in Undercliff Road West in front of the leisure centre – is set to have a £27,500 revamp to make it look smarter and safer for pedestrians.
Councillors are thrilled with the scheme, which is able to go ahead thanks to a partnership of council departments agreeing to work together to fund it.
The Pier Bight provides the entrance to the leisure centre, pier area and prom, and features a 46-space car park used by visitors to the attractions in the main part of the seafront.
You may also want to watch:
It stands in a designated conservation area and its new design will enhance the area and contribute to the resort's regeneration.
Director of planning and leisure for Suffolk Coastal council, Jeremy Schofield said the refurbishment would use quality materials, and the new design would still enable travelling funfairs to use the area.
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Meet the Ipswich teenage singer who gave £17.5k away to charity
- 3 Duo jailed after 63 bags of cocaine found in hotel room
- 4 Ipswich man charged with attempted murder
- 5 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 6 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 7 Police identify man in CCTV images after 'spitting' incident
- 8 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 9 Man to face trial over claims he sexually assaulted toddler in the street
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: See the three men locked up this week
Pedestrian safety will be improved, and a cycle route provided through the site and which will eventually be part of a larger cycle system for the seafront.
There will be a small reduction in the amount of parking space for motorcycles, and the two drop-off bays for taxis, which are not used a great deal, will be lost.
The leisure centre forecourt will also be extended and "fun focus" will be incorporated with a walk-on sundial constructed at the entrance, plus landscaping to make the area look more attractive.
Mr Schofield said the cost of the project – which is expected to be carried out in the autumn – will be met by the car park maintenance budget, the enhancement reserve fund and the council's positive planning budget.
Felixstowe Town Council is also discussing a grant of £3,000 and will make a final decision later this month.
Pier Bight is the area most visitors to the town head for when they arrive and it has not been given a revamp for more than 15 years since the leisure centre was built to replace the Pier Pavilion.