Rival bidders want to buy historic lido
IPSWICH: After eight years of lying vacant, the Evening Star can reveal that bids have been submitted for one of the town’s prime Grade II listed buildings.
In its heyday Broomhill Pool was one of Ipswich’s prime tourist attractions with thousands of people visiting every year.
But in 2002 the facility was closed by Ipswich Borough Council after it was deemed unsafe and too expensive to restore.
However, at a council meeting it was revealed that “competing bids” had been submitted for the lido.
Andrew Cann, the borough portfolio holder for culture, told the Evening Star that interest had been shown in the site which was highly popular in days gone by.
“There have been competing bids submitted for Broomhill Pool, however, I can’t disclose information about the bidders as it is a closed tender,” he said.
“The bids were in by June and we are now in the process of talking to the bidders – this will continue through until August.”
- 1 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 2 Developer criticised for 'failing to meet obligations'
- 3 Company fined £12,000 for repeatedly failing to clear Ipswich flat's waste
- 4 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
- 5 Weather warning for Suffolk as thunderstorms expected to affect travel
- 6 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 7 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 8 Cyclist injured after colliding with car in busy Ipswich road
- 9 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 10 Food review: ‘The Botanist in Ipswich lives up to the hype’
Mark Ling, fundraising and publicity officer for the Broomhilll Pool Trust, which have been campaigning for Ipswich Borough Council to re-open the site since its closure, said that it was an exciting time.
“The fate of Broomhill Pool clearly is, and has always been, in IBC’s hands,” he said.
“We have campaigned vociferously for the restoration of the site and have also worked tirelessly, freely and professionally with IBC to achieve the restoration of the most valued and iconic facility, which so many residents want.
“ The fact that there are competing bids proves that Broomhill is an absolutely fantastic facility for the whole of Ipswich.”
n Would you like to see Broomhill Pool open as a lido? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail eveningstarletters@evening star.co.uk