Rival bidders want to buy historic lido
IPSWICH: After eight years of lying vacant, the Evening Star can reveal that bids have been submitted for one of the town’s prime Grade II listed buildings.
In its heyday Broomhill Pool was one of Ipswich’s prime tourist attractions with thousands of people visiting every year.
But in 2002 the facility was closed by Ipswich Borough Council after it was deemed unsafe and too expensive to restore.
However, at a council meeting it was revealed that “competing bids” had been submitted for the lido.
Andrew Cann, the borough portfolio holder for culture, told the Evening Star that interest had been shown in the site which was highly popular in days gone by.
You may also want to watch:
“There have been competing bids submitted for Broomhill Pool, however, I can’t disclose information about the bidders as it is a closed tender,” he said.
“The bids were in by June and we are now in the process of talking to the bidders – this will continue through until August.”
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 5 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 6 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 7 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 8 15-year-old boy to face trial over alleged Ipswich stabbing
- 9 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 10 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
Mark Ling, fundraising and publicity officer for the Broomhilll Pool Trust, which have been campaigning for Ipswich Borough Council to re-open the site since its closure, said that it was an exciting time.
“The fate of Broomhill Pool clearly is, and has always been, in IBC’s hands,” he said.
“We have campaigned vociferously for the restoration of the site and have also worked tirelessly, freely and professionally with IBC to achieve the restoration of the most valued and iconic facility, which so many residents want.
“ The fact that there are competing bids proves that Broomhill is an absolutely fantastic facility for the whole of Ipswich.”
n Would you like to see Broomhill Pool open as a lido? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail eveningstarletters@evening star.co.uk