Days Gone By: Rescue helicopter out over Felixstowefor RNLI day
- Credit: JOHN KERR
In June 1981 Felixstowe Ferry Sailing Club hosted the action-packed RNLI day with rescue displays and a pram race to enertain crowds.
Sailors, volunteers and the local community turned out to support the RNLI crew, who have saved hundreds of lives off the Felixstowe coast over the years.
To kick off the festivities, crew members staged a rescue demonstration involving their boat as well as rescue helicopters to show the difficult conditions they operate under.
Crowds lined the seafront, watching on as the dramatic scene unfolded before them.
But the action wasn’t just out on the water – some revellers turned up with prams and went head to head against in a traditional pram race.
You may also want to watch:
Do you remember the RNLI day held at Felixstowe Ferry back in 1981?
Have you ever been a volunteer with the RNLI?
Email our picture desk and let us know.
- 1 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 4 Major delays on A12 after five vehicle crash
- 5 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 6 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 7 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 8 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 9 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
- 10 HSBC announces temporary closure of Ipswich branch