Road resurfaced around parked car
IT'S hardly road perfect!Things were not quite as they should have been when workers arrived to resurface an Ipswich street - one car was still parked in the road.
IT'S hardly road perfect!
Things were not quite as they should have been when workers arrived to resurface an Ipswich street - one car was still parked in the road.
But the subcontractor for Ipswich Borough Council had little option but to carry on anyway and resurface around the offending vehicle.
The council said it had tried to contact the car's owner before and during the work, but to no avail. After the work had been carried, when The Evening Star went to have a look, the offending car had gone but another car soon parked in the same spot.
You may also want to watch:
Residents today cannot believe their eyes - and are desperate for Waveney Road to be fixed.
Heather Fayers, a 58-year-old Waveney Road resident, said: “We knew they were going to be doing resurfacing. The cars all had to be moved.
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 4 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 5 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 6 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 7 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 8 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 9 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 10 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
“My husband took ours to work so there were no problems with our car.
“He noticed what had happened as he came up the road. He said, 'They have botched the road. They have gone around a car!
“I think it's ridiculous. Why didn't they try to move it? I think it looks hideous.
“It would be nice to see it done properly. It's where our taxes go.”
Claire Kendall, 30, of Bramford Road, Ipswich, is also frustrated.
She said: “There is nearly always a Jaguar parked there.
“Everybody else moved their car and the signs did go up in good time. I don't know if the driver didn't look at the signs.
“I think it looks really, really untidy. I must admit, I would like to see that bit covered up.”
A council spokesman said: “We did everything we could before, during and after the works to get the car moved. We put notices on the car and contacted residents but to no avail.
“We have resurfaced nearly 100 roads this year and this is the only time we have been unable to get a vehicle moved.
“In this case, our hands were tied. In nearly every case we enjoin and value the co-operation of local residents but in this case, we had no alternative but to proceed with the work.”
Has the same thing ever happened in your road? What would you like to see done about it? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org