Road worker dies in A12 collision

PUBLISHED: 12:22 21 July 2001 | UPDATED: 10:21 03 March 2010

SUFFOLK'S roads have claimed another life after a road worker died on the A12 – the second person to be hit and killed by a vehicle this week.


SUFFOLK'S roads have claimed another life after a road worker died on the A12 – the second person to be hit and killed by a vehicle this week.

Paramedics and a doctor were called to the southbound carriageway of the A12 between Stratford St Mary and Capel St Mary shortly after 9pm last night. The man, who worked for Ipswich–based PF Traffic Management was declared dead at the scene. He had been putting out road signs when he was involved in a collision with a Ford Escort.

The driver of the car was not believed to be seriously injured.

Dr Maarten de Cleen, from the Suffolk Accident Rescue Service, pronounced the casualty dead at the scene. He described how he received an emergency call at 9pm telling him a pedestrian, mostly likely a road worker, had been hit by a car and was lying unconscious.

"On arrival it was clear there was nothing I could do for him. He died most likely on impact. It is always sad when somebody dies – but in a situation like this where you have a man working on the road to make it secure and safe for other people and he is killed as part of his job – it is exceptional sad."

An eyewitness who lives close to the scene of the accident said: "My wife heard a bang. Then we saw blue flashing lights so I came up and stood on the bank.

"By this time there were two trucks, two ambulances, four or five police cars and paramedics there. I saw something lying in the road."

The man, who did not wish to be named, added that police were at the scene until midnight.

A fellow road worker who has been involved with maintenance on the A14, A12 and A137 said: "We all know the dangers of the job. Last week I was working within four inches of lorries thundering past me."

Suffolk Police said the dead man was local, but would not be named until next-of-kin had been informed.

It caused tail backs on the road but police, from both Suffolk and Essex, were able to divert traffic through a gap in the crash barrier about a quarter of a mile from the scene of the accident.

They have urged any witnesses who saw the accident to contact Acting Sergeant Chris Rodder on 01473 613500.

Minutes earlier a male motorcyclist sustained serious injuries when he lost control of his bike on the A143 at Wattisfield, between Bury St Edmunds and Diss in Norfolk.

The rider was taken to hospital where his condition is described as stabilised with serious injuries. His name will not be released until all of his next-of-kin have been informed.

Suffolk Police have again appealed for witnesses to the accident, which occurred at 8.45pm last night, to contact Sergeant David Griffiths on 01473 613500

Earlier in the day, a driver was dubbed lucky to escape serious injury after his vehicle hit a bank and overturned in Rushmere St Andrew.

The fire service cut the driver free from the wreckage of the Renault Megan Scenic after the crash in Playford Road at 4.40pm yesterday.

The accident, which involved no other vehicles, caused traffic chaos as the road was closed while emergency services attended the scene.

PC Alan Nixon from police headquarters traffic department said: "The man was very lucky not to have escaped serious injury."

The male victim, thought to have been in his 40's, was taken to Ipswich Hospital for treatment.

Dr de Cleen also attended the crash, along with two ambulance crews.

He said: "The vehicle had overturned and the driver was temporarily trapped but had no serious injuries."

Today's second road death in Suffolk this week, brings the number of fatalities on the roads this year to 30. At the same point last year, the number of deaths was 28, two less than this year.

Earlier in the week, Neil Stubbins, of Drummond Court, Bury St Edmunds was killed after being struck by an articulated lorry on the A14 near Bury St Edmunds.

Mr Stubbins, who was 22 but had a mental age of five, wandered onto the dual carriageway and was hit by a Leyland lorry in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ipswich Star