Roadworks in College Street causing major delays in Ipswich finish – but more on way at Stoke Bridge
- Credit: Archant
A section of over-running roadworks along the one-way system by Ipswich Waterfront have finished, but more are on the way at Stoke Bridge, Suffolk County Council has confirmed.
Temporary traffic lights and a lane closure in College Street, from the Foundation Street junction to the roundabout connecting College Street, Star Lane, Grey Friars Road, and Bridge Street, were put in place by the authority’s highways contractors carrying out off-peak traffic light and pedestrian crossing work.
The work was due to take place from 9.30am to 3.30pm on Tuesday to avoid delays to rush-hour traffic.
But contractors had to leave the site during the afternoon for emergency work elsewhere, leaving the temporary traffic lights in place until this morning, after the morning rush hour.
It caused widespread tailbacks around Ipswich, with reports of standstill traffic stretching from Spring Road to Landseer Road. Some motorists claimed it added 45 minutes to journeys.
The work is due to continue tomorrow (Thursday), taking place on Stoke Bridge from 9.30am to 3.30pm. A lane closure will be in place, affecting both sets of traffic lights, Suffolk County Council confirmed.
- 1 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 2 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 3 New Ipswich council houses and microhomes win awards
- 4 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 5 Ipswich primary school closed for 'maintenance investigations'
- 6 Judge reassures town centre is 'open for business' after robbery trial
- 7 Major milestone marked as Ipswich Hospital south entrance reopens
- 8 'A lovely green space' - race against time to buy mini-Ipswich woodland
- 9 Gucci items hidden in Asda stores across the country
- 10 Driver taken to hospital after two vehicle crash near Ipswich train station