Roadworks in College Street causing major delays in Ipswich finish – but more on way at Stoke Bridge
- Credit: Archant
A section of over-running roadworks along the one-way system by Ipswich Waterfront have finished, but more are on the way at Stoke Bridge, Suffolk County Council has confirmed.
Temporary traffic lights and a lane closure in College Street, from the Foundation Street junction to the roundabout connecting College Street, Star Lane, Grey Friars Road, and Bridge Street, were put in place by the authority’s highways contractors carrying out off-peak traffic light and pedestrian crossing work.
The work was due to take place from 9.30am to 3.30pm on Tuesday to avoid delays to rush-hour traffic.
But contractors had to leave the site during the afternoon for emergency work elsewhere, leaving the temporary traffic lights in place until this morning, after the morning rush hour.
It caused widespread tailbacks around Ipswich, with reports of standstill traffic stretching from Spring Road to Landseer Road. Some motorists claimed it added 45 minutes to journeys.
You may also want to watch:
The work is due to continue tomorrow (Thursday), taking place on Stoke Bridge from 9.30am to 3.30pm. A lane closure will be in place, affecting both sets of traffic lights, Suffolk County Council confirmed.
- 1 These are the neighbourhoods in Suffolk where Covid rates are still rising
- 2 Ipswich woman who was 'too big' to operate on loses 8 stone after health scare
- 3 New Aldi store takes shape near Morrisons in Ipswich
- 4 Martlesham man caught with indecent images for second time
- 5 Parents 'distraught' after teenage boy is violently assaulted in Chantry
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: See the faces of the criminals locked up this week
- 7 People 'losing patience' with neighbours who flout Covid rules, police say
- 8 Snow could hit Suffolk as overnight temperatures set to plunge
- 9 When Anita Dobson visited Ipswich - and more 1980s pub memories
- 10 Tributes paid to Ipswich's 'best-loved shopkeeper' Hajara 'Sid' Singh