Robot Rumble's new venue
AN annual clash of mechanical warriors is moving to a new Suffolk venue because of its huge success.For the past three years, a sell-out Easter Robot Rumble featuring some of the big names from the BBC2 hit series Robot Wars has taken place live at Debenham Leisure Centre.
AN annual clash of mechanical warriors is moving to a new Suffolk venue because of its huge success.
For the past three years, a sell-out Easter Robot Rumble featuring some of the big names from the BBC2 hit series Robot Wars has taken place live at Debenham Leisure Centre.
According to organisers, it is the biggest event of its kind outside of the series itself.
But some disappointed fans of the roboteers have had to be turned away because the sessions are over-subscribed, and organisers have decided to move it to a bigger venue.
You may also want to watch:
This year's event on Saturday, April 19, and Sunday, April 20, will take place at a hangar at Bentwaters which is four times the size of the Debenham sports hall where it has been staged up until now.
The event will include big names from the TV series, including Dominator, Stinger, Tornado and Razer, as well as firm favourite Bigger Brother. Most of the participating robots will be from the series.
- 1 Body found in the River Orwell
- 2 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 3 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
- 4 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 5 Felixstowe beach hut sells for record price of £65k within hours
- 6 Ipswich music producer's 'amazing' rise as global DJ's assistant
- 7 Plans for new central Ipswich Travelodge now available to view online
- 8 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED: Witches prove too hot for Lynn
- 9 Breakdown on Orwell Bridge cleared after queues to Copdock roundabout
- 10 Cheers! Ipswich pubs and restaurants welcome first indoor guests of 2021
Instead of seating 400 people, it will now take up to 1250 who will be able to see around 60 heavy-weight robots do battle in four sessions over the two days. Last year's event was seen by about 2,500 over six shows, but this time the rumble will accommodate twice that number.
Roboteers will come from Austria, Belgium, Holland, Germany and Ireland to take part.
"It's going to be the biggest event without a doubt," said organiser Eddy Alcock, a Debenham parish councillor, who along with his brother, Roy, has been a contestant in the TV Robot Wars over the years.
The organisers are concentrating on breaking even with the event, but any excess will go to charity
Mr Alcock added: "Any money which is over will go to charitable causes, and I hope to include Debenham leisure centre in that because they have been good to us in the past."
Tickets cost £15 for adults and £10 for children under 16. The box office number is 01394 271558.