Robot Rumble's new venue
AN annual clash of mechanical warriors is moving to a new Suffolk venue because of its huge success.For the past three years, a sell-out Easter Robot Rumble featuring some of the big names from the BBC2 hit series Robot Wars has taken place live at Debenham Leisure Centre.
AN annual clash of mechanical warriors is moving to a new Suffolk venue because of its huge success.
For the past three years, a sell-out Easter Robot Rumble featuring some of the big names from the BBC2 hit series Robot Wars has taken place live at Debenham Leisure Centre.
According to organisers, it is the biggest event of its kind outside of the series itself.
But some disappointed fans of the roboteers have had to be turned away because the sessions are over-subscribed, and organisers have decided to move it to a bigger venue.
This year's event on Saturday, April 19, and Sunday, April 20, will take place at a hangar at Bentwaters which is four times the size of the Debenham sports hall where it has been staged up until now.
The event will include big names from the TV series, including Dominator, Stinger, Tornado and Razer, as well as firm favourite Bigger Brother. Most of the participating robots will be from the series.
- 1 Child taken to hospital after collision with car in Ipswich
- 2 Lorry recovered after overturning on A14 roundabout at Felixstowe
- 3 Fire breaks out in café near Ipswich town centre
- 4 Severe delays on A14 and Orwell Bridge after wheel falls off ambulance
- 5 Fire at waste centre near Ipswich believed to have been started by battery
- 6 Hopes Summertime Ipswich firework display will go ahead
- 7 Car carrying three passengers not wearing seatbelts stopped on A12
- 8 Pride as Ipswich A Level students celebrate results
- 9 'The food at this new Ipswich restaurant tastes amazing'
- 10 Taco Bell plans set to be approved
Instead of seating 400 people, it will now take up to 1250 who will be able to see around 60 heavy-weight robots do battle in four sessions over the two days. Last year's event was seen by about 2,500 over six shows, but this time the rumble will accommodate twice that number.
Roboteers will come from Austria, Belgium, Holland, Germany and Ireland to take part.
"It's going to be the biggest event without a doubt," said organiser Eddy Alcock, a Debenham parish councillor, who along with his brother, Roy, has been a contestant in the TV Robot Wars over the years.
The organisers are concentrating on breaking even with the event, but any excess will go to charity
Mr Alcock added: "Any money which is over will go to charitable causes, and I hope to include Debenham leisure centre in that because they have been good to us in the past."
Tickets cost £15 for adults and £10 for children under 16. The box office number is 01394 271558.