Robots coming back to Ipswich
PREPARE yourself for a mechanical invasion Ipswich.They may no longer battle it out in the cult television show Robot Wars but an Ipswich robot enthusiast is not allowing robots to fade from public view.
PREPARE yourself for a mechanical invasion Ipswich.
They may no longer battle it out in the cult television show Robot Wars but an Ipswich robot enthusiast is not allowing robots to fade from public view.
Passionate robot fan Geoff Thorpe, of Wareham Avenue, is organising the fifth Robot Rumble, which is set to attract robotics fans from throughout the country.
This year the event is being held at Debenham Leisure Centre on March 26 and March 27 but robot enthusiasts are set to get a sneak preview on Sunday when two robots and a Dr Who Dalek parade through Ipswich town centre.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Thorpe said: "We'll be causing a bit of mechanical mayhem."
Robot Rumble was first held in August, 2000, and has been held at several venues in the area.
- 1 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 2 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 5 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 6 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 7 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 8 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 9 250 Ipswich patients fined after failing to pay for their prescriptions
- 10 Trucker ran eBay scam selling straps used for securing heavy loads
It is a breeding ground for robot fans and offers robot owners a chance to pit their machines against other leading robots from around the country.
It was first organised by Roy and Eddy Alcock, veterans of the Robot Wars television show but is now run by Mr Thorpe, a former truck driver who met the Alcocks through his work.
Mr Thorpe said: "My daughter and myself used to watch Robot Wars, we'd been down to the studios.
"Although I drive a truck I am a qualified mechanics engineer so I'm interested in it."
This year former British champion robot Chaos 2 will appear as a static display and while fellow former champion Tornado will be joined by top robots Dontomkia and Behemoth to battle it out for the Robot Rumble title in a specially built arena.
Robot Rumble will feature heavyweight and featherweight competitions and demonstrations on Saturday, March 26 at 2pm and 7pm and on Sunday, March 27 at 11am and 3pm.
Tickets are £15 for adults and £10 for children under 16.
For more information call 01728 861101 or visit www.roamingrobots.co.uk.