Royal Navy sailors seized in Iraqi water
FIFTEEN Royal Navy sailors have been captured by Iranian warships today.The incident happened about 10.30am local time in Iraqi waters and followed a routine inspection of a merchant ship.
FIFTEEN Royal Navy sailors have been captured by Iranian warships today.
The incident happened about 10.30am local time in Iraqi waters and followed a routine inspection of a merchant ship.
The Ministry of Defence said: “The UK boarding party had completed a successful inspection of a merchant ship when they and their two boats were surrounded and escorted by Iranian vessels into Iranian territorial waters.
“We are urgently pursuing this matter with the Iranian authorities at the highest level and on the instructions of the Foreign Secretary, the Iranian ambassador has been summoned to the Foreign Office.
You may also want to watch:
“The British government is demanding the immediate and safe return of our people and equipment.”
- 1 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 2 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 3 Royal Mail confirms removal of Ipswich postbox
- 4 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke
- 5 Ipswich reports England's highest rise in Covid infection rate
- 6 Felixstowe woman accused of setting fire to caravan and drink driving
- 7 Arrest warrants issued for men facing sheep charges
- 8 Budding musician caught with drugs in buttocks is spared prison
- 9 Anger as 'three to four large skips' of fly-tipped rubbish blocks road
- 10 MoD warns about late-night Apache training