Rufus Wainwright to appear at Regent
CRITICALLY acclaimed singer - songwriter Rufus Wainwright is to perform in Ipswich, it has been announced today. The Canadian star, who has recorded five albums since 1998, will play The Regent theatre on November 1.
CRITICALLY acclaimed singer - songwriter Rufus Wainwright is to perform in Ipswich, it has been announced today.
The Canadian star, who has recorded five albums since 1998, will play The Regent theatre on November 1.
Theatre manager Hazel Clover said: “We are delighted to welcome Rufus to the regent for the first time.
“He is one of the most extraordinary talents of his generation and a new addition to our autumn season.”
Known for his theatrical pop act and camp style, the 34-year-old is currently performing a world tour which includes New York, Paris and Sydney.
Wainwright's self-titled debut received critical acclaim with Rolling Stone magazine recognising it as one of the best albums of that year.
- 1 Take a look inside new Ipswich restaurant that makes pizza the 'proper way'
- 2 Take a look inside 15th Century farmhouse near Ipswich up for sale
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The county's criminals locked up in the last week
- 4 Missing 13-year-old boy from Hadleigh found safe
- 5 Empty Ipswich office block could become new flats
- 6 Is Ipswich really England's oldest town? Experts give their view
- 7 House of Tweed leaves Ipswich after Christmas season
- 8 Tattingstone 'suitcase murder': 'Never too late' say police on 55th anniversary
- 9 BrewDog, The Botanist and other reasons to be positive about Ipswich town centre
- 10 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
His repertoire contains several recurring themes including opera, literature, and pop culture. Homosexuality and love provide the underlying theme for many of his songs.
He also sings about his family relationships with songs such as Beauty Mark, Little Sister and Dinner at Eight addressing his experiences with his mother, sisters, and father.
Tickets are £25 and go on sale tomorrow.
For information and tickets call the regent on 01473 433100.
Are you a fan of Rufus Wainwright? tell us what you think of him. Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Rufus is the son of folk singer Loudon Wainwright III.