Rushemre St Andrew: Uncle’s model will take pride of place at big day as niece ties the knot at St Andrew’s Church
Model maker Russell Clarke wanted to make his niece’s wedding extra special.
So when the 85-year-old found out about the engagement, he set to work on his latest project – building a replica of the church in which the Ipswich couple will wed.
“It was a challenge, but I don’t let anything beat me,” he said.
Using straws and oven clay, he spent four weeks crafting the model of St Andrew’s Church, in Rushmere St Andrew.
He was a model-maker for almost 50 years, dispatching his hand-made creations to the USA and Germany and crafted a version of HMS Victory. He is currently designing a mock-up of the Royal Navy’s newest warship: HMS Queen Elizabeth.
You may also want to watch:
However, he said the Rushmere St Andrew church with its medieval tower and Norman features is his new favourite.
His niece, Laura Clarke, said she was incredibly proud of her uncle. She helped him by taking photographs of the church, which he used to base his design on.
- 1 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 2 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 3 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 4 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 5 Man jailed after safe stolen from Spread Eagle pub
- 6 Superhero send off planned for 'charismatic and cheeky' Alexander, 15
- 7 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 8 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 9 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 10 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
She will tie the knot with Royal Mail worker Daryn Brinkley on June 14.
Mr Clarke added: “Once I get started I get really into it. They are going to display the model church in the church when they get married, which is great.”