Rushmere: Star offers reward after dogs died from suspected poisoning

RUSHMERE ST ANDREW: The Ipswich Star is today offering a cash reward after two dogs died from suspected poisoning.

The �500 reward has been put up after it was reported five dogs fell ill after they ate slug pellets while being walked on Rushmere Common.

It is hoped the cash will act as an incentive for information leading to the arrest of those responsible for the spate of poisonings.

The Star last week reported that Roland Warner, of Dover Road, Ipswich, believes his 12-year-old Jack Russell, Button, ate slug pellets while being walked last November.

The 77-year-old said: “Button’s death really broke by heart. She had a terrible death so I’m really pleased the paper is putting up a reward to catch the people responsible.

“I’m lucky enough to have another dog now but whoever did it should be prosecuted as far as I’m concerned.”

Last November The Star reported Provan Court resident Lucy Smy’s miniature schnauzer, Mavis, was put down after eating slug pellets.

Most Read

Suffolk Coastal District Council put up posters around the area after the incidents.

PCSO Mike Sarbutts, of Kesgrave and District Safer Neighbourhood Team, said there were numerous whispers within the dog walking fraternity about the poisoning incidents but that thankfully no more incidents had been reported recently.

He added: “We haven’t had any more problems with poisoning thank goodness and a lot of that has to do with the increased numbers of high visibility patrols with our SNT and the North East Ipswich SNT.

“We really do need to find out who was responsible because it was a despicable act and created a bad feeling among the dog walking community against the person responsible.”

Ipswich Star editor Nigel Pickover said: “To hear that two dogs have died due to suspected poisoning is very sad so we are offering up this reward in the hope that it will lead to finding those responsible for these dreadful acts.”

A Suffolk police spokesman confirmed no arrests have been made in relation to the poisoning.

Anyone with information should call PCSO Sarbutts on 101 or Suffolk Coastal countryside officer Peter Ross on 01394 444619.

n Has your pet ever been poisoned? Call the newsdesk on 01473 324790 or you can send an e-mail to starnews @archant.co.uk