Sadness over death of Florida airport shooting victim Olga Woltering, originally from Ipswich
More tributes have been paid to former Ipswich great-grandmother Olga Woltering who was one of five people killed in a shooting in the United States.
The 84-year-old, who grew up in Felix Road and went to Priory Heath Secondary Modern in Ipswich, died when a gunman opened fire at Fort Lauderdale airport in Florida on Friday.Mrs Woltering moved to Georgia with her US Air Force serviceman husband Ralph in the 1950s. Her younger sister Hazel Roosa also moved to the US after marrying an American.
The pair returned to Ipswich in 2003 for a school reunion organised by Brenda Phillips.
Mrs Phillips, of Ipswich, said she was stunned when she saw the news of Mrs Woltering’s death on television.
“She was a nice friendly lady. I was watching the news and they were talking about this lady from Ipswich and I thought ‘Oh my goodness’. I realised who it was. It was quite a shock.”
Mrs Woltering lived in Marietta in Cook County, Georgia, and was a well-known member of the Catholic Church of the Transfiguration.
Brian Low, from Suffolk, left a tribute to her on the church’s Facebook page.
Mr Low said: “What a sad day, especially as Olga and Ralph were not due to fly into Fort Lauderdale until the following day.
- 1 Cannabis dealer jailed after being caught with drugs in Range Rover
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Revealed: The top serious crash hotspots in Ipswich
- 4 Neighbours raised alarm after man not seen for several days
- 5 Planning application for new Taco Bell in Ipswich expected 'imminently'
- 6 Suffolk M&S stores to stay open as Colchester shop closes down
- 7 Man who attacked partner after she travelled 10 hours to see him is jailed
- 8 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 9 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 10 Teenage boys arrested after police seize suspected class A drugs in Ipswich
“Adverse weather conditions meant a change of plans so that they would not miss boarding their cruise ship for Ralph’s 90th birthday celebrations.
“Olga used to live in Ipswich, Suffolk, England, where I was based, and where I started my married life with my late wife 40 years ago.
“I still live in Suffolk. Fort Lauderdale is an airport used by some of my late wife’s US family, so that and Olga being born in Ipswich brings this event too close to home, even though I am 4,500 miles away.”
Iraq War veteran Esteban Santiago, 26, is accused of carrying out the shooting, which also left 45 people injured.