Safety assured for Millwall visit
FEARFUL football fans on their way to Millwall this Saturday have been reassured about their safety.Ipswich Town are expecting a following of about 1,000 fans to south London for the match against Millwall on Saturday afternoon.
FEARFUL football fans on their way to Millwall this Saturday have been reassured about their safety.
Ipswich Town are expecting a following of about 1,000 fans to south London for the match against Millwall on Saturday afternoon.
But despite the feared reputation of the Millwall hooligan element, officials at Portman Road believe their fans will be safe at the New Den.
A club spokesman said: "To allay any doubts that supporters have regarding their safety at Millwall, their own fans are only able to enter the stadium with a swipe card and every supporter has been fully checked before the issue of these cards."
You may also want to watch:
Millwall's fearsome reputation is long-established and the club's image was worsened by a recent BBC2 programme highlighting the growth of violence in the Nationwide League.
But the new season has seen a number of safety measures including banning some away fans from the Millwall ground.
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 4 Meet the Ipswich teenage singer who gave £17.5k away to charity
- 5 Duo jailed after 63 bags of cocaine found in hotel room
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: See the three men locked up this week
- 7 Ipswich man charged with attempted murder
- 8 Man to face trial over claims he sexually assaulted toddler in the street
- 9 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 10 Kesgrave Kitchen praised by local MP after 'fantastic' transformation
And the club spokesman believes Millwall's trouble-free start to the season will continue on Saturday.
He said: "There has been no trouble at Millwall this season and they are well aware of the good behaviour of the travelling Ipswich Town fans.
"Millwall are anticipating a maximum crowd of 10,00 and are looking forward to an enjoyable Saturday afternoon."