Safety work on busy road at an end
MOTORISTS were today assured that weeks of delays on a busy street should be over by this weekend, once safety work is completed.Part of Walton High Street at Felixstowe has been reduced to one lane with lights to control traffic for the past three weeks after drivers voiced concern about manhole covers.
MOTORISTS were today assured that weeks of delays on a busy street should be over by this weekend, once safety work is completed.
Part of Walton High Street at Felixstowe has been reduced to one lane with lights to control traffic for the past three weeks after drivers voiced concern about manhole covers.
Anglian Water was called in and safety staff discovered that the covers over a waste water pumping station beneath the road were starting to break up and needed repairing.
A spokeswoman for Anglian Water said: "We had some complaints from drivers going over the covers about the noise and so inspectors were sent to investigate and found the covers were starting to crack."
You may also want to watch:
The spokeswoman said the company had not intended the road to have traffic lights for so long but the four new covers had to be specially made.
She said: "It was decided to cordon off the road because it was a health and safety issue and we needed to ensure that the road was safe for drivers to use.
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 7 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 8 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 9 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 10 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
"The covers unfortunately could not just be purchased off the shelf and had to be specially made to fit and so we had to wait a little while for them.
"In the past few days the frames have been put in and the resin is now being set and once this is hard and the road is safe we can reopen it."
It is hoped this will be able to take place by the weekend.