Saint's day arrival for new bishop
SUFFOLK'S new senior bishop will be enthroned on St Edmund's Day - November 20.Rt Rev Nigel Stock will be enthroned as the tenth Bishop of St Edmundsbury & Ipswich, in a service in the Cathedral.
SUFFOLK'S new senior bishop will be enthroned on St Edmund's Day - November 20.
Rt Rev Nigel Stock will be enthroned as the tenth Bishop of St Edmundsbury & Ipswich, in a service at the cathedral.
“I hope this can be an occasion to celebrate the Diocese,” said Bishop Nigel, 57, who is coming to Suffolk from the Diocese of Chester where he has served as the Bishop of Stockport for the last six years.
Born and raised in Newcastle upon Tyne, Bishop Nigel has had a varied church career spanning 22 years in parish ministry including five in Papua New Guinea.
Rt Rev Clive Young, Bishop of Dunwich, said: “We are looking forward to formally greeting Bishop Nigel as he begins his work as Suffolk's new bishop. The service in Suffolk's fine cathedral promises to be a joyful occasion.”
The enthronement, the first in Suffolk for eleven years, is the event at which the bishop formerly takes his seat in his cathedral church.
- 1 Emergency services attend Felixstowe bungalow fire
- 2 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 3 33-year-old found safe after police search
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 5 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 6 New 'grab and go' vegan café on Ipswich Waterfront set to open in spring
- 7 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 8 Do you recognise these old Tolly Cobbold pubs?
- 9 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
- 10 Town to gather to remember flood victims 69 years on
Nigel and his wife Carolyne have three grown up sons. His interests include history, art, walking, photography and watching rugby and football and he has already said that he is looking forward to supporting Ipswich this season.
Bishop Nigel succeeds Rt Rev Richard Lewis who retired at the end of July.