Salon owners prepare for long trip
TWO salon-owning sisters are hoping they can turn a mammoth cycle expedition through Cuba into a cut-and-dry job, in order to raise money for charity. Kelly Taylor, 27, and Laura Matthews, 24, from Felixstowe, are gearing up for a 370km cycle ride through Cuba in 2009, but first they need to raise £6,000 between them.
TWO salon-owning sisters are hoping they can turn a mammoth cycle expedition through Cuba into a cut-and-dry job, in order to raise money for charity.
Kelly Taylor, 27, and Laura Matthews, 24, from Felixstowe, are gearing up for a 370km cycle ride through Cuba in 2009, but first they need to raise £6,000 between them.
The sisters, who own The Salon, on Gainsborough Road, Felixstowe, found out about the ride for Women for Women - which funds research into serious conditions that can affect women and their babies - on a morning television programme.
They decided to take on the challenge as members of their family and friends had experienced difficulties in pregnancy.
Along with 100 other women the Felixstowe sisters will need to cycle 75km a day, with the terrain being a mixture of off and on road, for five days in March 2009 to complete the Cuba challenge.
Mrs Taylor said: “It is the first time we have done anything like this. We are basic cyclists but as we have 13 months to train by the time we get there we should be well equipped. It is not a race though. It is a challenge.”
- 1 Fuel protests: Twelve miles of queues reported on A12
- 2 Man in 40s stabbed at town centre multi-storey car park
- 3 15 of the best photos from Ipswich Music Day 2022
- 4 Keys secured as 'Goliath' £1.2m needed to restore burned down church
- 5 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk neighbourhoods with highest Covid rates
- 6 Jailed in June: The Suffolk criminals locked up last month
- 7 Road closed and person trapped in car after crash
- 8 Man order to sign sex offenders' registers for possessing indecent images
- 9 Travellers pitch up at park in Ipswich
- 10 Macauley Bonne: Town is not a closed book... I've got unfinished business
She added they were already getting their qualifying fundraising underway, with a sponsored shift in their local Wimpy, packing bags for a day in a supermarket and hosting a special treatment evening in The Salon, amongst other ideas.
Anyone who would like to donate to their Cuba cycle ride can make cheques payable to The Institute Trust Fund addressed to The Salon, 32 Gainsborough Road, Felixstowe, IP11 7HR.