Samaritans praised for fire rescue

FIRE fighters have today praised the life saving actions of two good Samaritans who rescued a man from a burning building.Fire gutted a first floor flat in Landseer Road in Ipswich overnight, claiming the life of a dog and prompting the dramatic rescue of the occupant.

FIRE fighters have today praised the life saving actions of two good Samaritans who rescued a man from a burning building.

Fire gutted a first floor flat in Landseer Road in Ipswich overnight, claiming the life of a dog and prompting the dramatic rescue of the occupant.

The resident, believed to be 60-year-old Dougie Godfrey, was plucked from the first floor windowsill by a passing motorist in a double glazing van who stopped to help.

Sub officer Jon Southgate, who was in charge at the scene, said fire fighters had searched the flat for Mr Godfrey before they were informed he had been rescued.

He said: “It would be great for the guy in the van to come forward and be recognised.

“His were life saving actions and really I can't understate that.”

Most Read

Mr Southgate said officers were not yet sure of the cause of the fire and would be investigating further today.

John Saville, 56, who saw the drama, said: “He (the motorist) put the van up beside the shop downstairs and got up on the roof of the van and put a ladder to the window.

“The blokes who helped with the rescue risked themselves. I think they got him out of the living room window.

“There was a lot of smoke.”

Nettie Frost, 57, who lives a few doors away from the flat said her husband, 55-year-old Joe Frost, had helped the van driver with the rescue.

She said: “My husband went to put our bin out and he said he could hear coughing and he couldn't leave it.

“He walked down to our gate and looked across to see the man hanging out of the window.

“By the time he got there this other chap was coming up the road in this window van and he pulled up on the path and I don't know if they put a ladder up or what but I know they got him out.”

She said Mr Godfrey had been agitated because his dog was still in the building and fire fighters had kicked the door down to rescue the pet but had been forced back by the heat.

The dog, whose breed is unknown, died in the blaze.

Mr Godfrey was checked over by paramedics at the scene but did not need hospital treatment.

Mr Southgate said officers were not yet sure of the cause of the fire and would be investigating further today.

The blaze broke out above Ipswich Disco Supplies at about 10.15pm yesterday and was under control by 10.55pm.

Were you the van driver who helped in the rescue? Do you know who the van driver was? Call The Evening Star newsdesk on 01473 324788 or e-mail the newsdesk at starnews@eveningstar.co.uk.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter