School pupils drugs probe
TWO pupils are under police investigation after an alleged incident involving drugs during school lunchtime, it has been revealed.The teenagers, who attend Stowupland High School, near Stowmarket, were among six people to be searched and detained by police at Stowupland Green between 1pm and 1.
TWO pupils are under police investigation after an alleged incident involving drugs during school lunchtime, it has been revealed.
The teenagers, who attend Stowupland High School, near Stowmarket, were among six people to be searched and detained by police at Stowupland Green between 1pm and 1.30pm on Friday.
Officers recovered a small quantity of drugs, believed to be Ecstasy and cannabis, and an investigation is now under way.
The pupils – a boy and a girl, both aged 15 – are undestood to be on study leave for exam revision from today and no decision has yet be made on whether they will be temporarily suspended.
You may also want to watch:
Peter Richards, headteacher of the Church Road school, which has about 758 pupils, said the alleged incident had not happened on school grounds and was a matter for police.
"Two of our students are involved in a police investigation over an incident that took place on the Stowupland Green on Friday, May 9, during the school lunchtime," he added.
- 1 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 2 Anger as 'selfish' fly-tippers dump couch in Ipswich street
- 3 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 4 Man arrested over Cardinal Park stabbing
- 5 Army helicopter lands in field near Nacton after developing fault
- 6 Seafront theatre set for big improvements and balcony dining
- 7 Summertime Ipswich to bring the party to the Waterfront next month
- 8 Ipswich man in court accused of setting light to car
- 9 Nadia Cenci to get equality training after 'virtually no racism' tweet
- 10 Warning of lightning strikes across Suffolk as stormy weather continues
"The operation was part of a community initiative which this school is supporting to ensure students are safe during school hours.
"This incident took place off school premises and is clearly a matter for the police and they are dealing with it.
"When this has been done the school will consider any implications there might be for us and we will deal with them under our appropriate policy. "This school has a very strict no drugs policy supported by an education programme in the school and disciplinary sanctions."
A spokeswoman for Suffolk police confirmed officers from Stowmarket had detained and searched six people at Stowupland Green.
"A small quantity of drugs, believed to be cannabis and Ecstasy, were recovered. Two of those searched, a boy and a girl, both aged 15, were pupils at Stowupland High School," she added.
Anyone with information about drug misuse should contact Suffolk police's special hotline Operation Crackdown on 0800 253253.