Schoolboy admits playground assault

AN 11 year-old boy has appeared in court and admitted to assaulting another boy in an Ipswich playground. The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, lives in Ipswich.

AN 11 year-old boy has appeared in court and admitted to assaulting another boy in an Ipswich playground.

The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, lives in Ipswich.

He appeared at a youth court at South East Suffolk Magistrates Court where he was accompanied by his mother.

The court heard that the boy, who pleaded guilty to common assault, chased his victim into a children's play area in Landseer Park on July 28 this year.

Prosecution solicitor David Taylor said: "He pushed him up against a wooden fence and hit him.

"The injuries the victim received were minor, there was bruising to his cheek which disappeared after a couple of days.

Most Read

"The defendant is saying there was a racial comment made, the other boy does not accept this".

Defence solicitor Roger Stewart told the court his client claimed the incident was fuelled by a racial comment.

Mr Stewart said: "He admits assaulting him, he denies hitting him on the face and he denies a sustained attack but he admits he was wrong".

The court heard the boys had been friends but ill feeling had developed. Magistrates made the boy the subject of a 24-hour Reparation Order.

The court heard the order meant the boy would be under the supervision of a youth offending team for 24 hours out of three months.

Magistrates recommended he have one-to-one mediation with the victim to understand what he had done.

The 11 year-old was also ordered to pay £20 compensation and £20 costs.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter