Search for missing sailor
AN AIR and sea search involving the RAF helicopter based at Wattisham was under way today for a sailing boat missing off the Essex coast.The search began after the middle-aged sailor failed to call his mum.
AN AIR and sea search involving the RAF helicopter based at Wattisham was under way today for a sailing boat missing off the Essex coast.
The search began after the middle-aged sailor failed to call his mum.
The boat went missing on Saturday night off the coast near West Mersea.
The Search and Rescue unit based at Wattisham Airfield was scrambled to the scene at 7.45am today.
By 9.45am they were back having found no trace of the yacht.
A spokesman for the rescue crew said: "We were out searching for a 51-year-old man who had been out on his yacht but didn't call his mother as he was supposed to. We didn't find anything."
- 1 A14 reopens near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 2 'He was a really good man' - Neighbour's shock following Ipswich house fire
- 3 Former nightclub with flat conversion plan heads to auction
- 4 Ipswich drug dealer sentenced to two years in jail
- 5 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as Covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 6 'I don't want families going through this' - Mum backs bridge campaign
- 7 Mental health referral review after death of 'wonderful' 16-year-old boy
- 8 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 9 Police cordon off Felixstowe town centre car park after incident
- 10 Estate agent switches household’s energy supply without telling tenant
A spokesman for Thames Coastguard said: "We are searching for an overdue yacht."
Clacton and Bradwell lifeboats were also searching at the scene.