Search for missing sportsman continues
SEARCHES are continuing today for a top Suffolk sportsman who went missing in France last month.Christopher Lipscombe, a 59-year-old former county champion at tennis and squash, disappeared from his home in a mountainous village near the town of Carcassonne, in the south of France, on December 11.
SEARCHES are continuing today for a top Suffolk sportsman who went missing in France last month.
Christopher Lipscombe, a 59-year-old former county champion at tennis and squash, disappeared from his home in a mountainous village near the town of Carcassonne, in the south of France, on December 11.
His sister Judy Hamshere told The Evening Star there is still no news of his whereabouts.
She said police are continuing to search the countryside and are questioning villagers about the situation.
“There is still no sign of him,” she said.
“It is just incredible someone can disappear like that.
- 1 Teenager sexually assaulted and then robbed in Ipswich
- 2 'He'd be dead' - mum's terror after wave drags her and baby down beach
- 3 GALLERY: Photos show devastating aftermath of huge fire near Ipswich
- 4 Travellers pitch up in one of Ipswich's busiest parks
- 5 Smoke seen across Ipswich as crews tackle large fire
- 6 Teenager’s 10 year sentence is warning over ‘horrendous’ acid attacks
- 7 Ongoing heathland blaze sees 147 calls made to fire service
- 8 Open air theatre coming to Ipswich park later this month
- 9 Redundant care home being used as homes applying for planning after 5 years
- 10 One of the world's largest container ships arrives at Port of Felixstowe
“Apparently police are still questioning people in the village.”
Fears were triggered about Mr Lipscombe's whereabouts when he did not show up to take a friend to Carcassonne airport.
Police immediately arranged search parties to scour the mountainous area around his home.
Tracker dogs and a helicopter were called in and Mr Lipscombe's house was sealed off for forensic examinations.
Police divers searched the nearby lake but found nothing.
The investigation team has described the situation as a “worrying disappearance”.
Mr Lipscombe, who has been living alone in France since retiring two years ago, has two grown-up children with his ex-wife.
Born in Felixstowe he has spent much of his life in Ipswich and worked for a period as a policeman in Lowestoft.
He is former a county squash and tennis champion, a top golfer and was ranked the number one table tennis player in Suffolk at under-18 level.
Anyone who thinks they may have information about Mr Lipscombe's whereabouts is asked to contact Suffolk police on 01473 613500.