Search for Stowmarket pupils
A SUFFOLK school is today tracking down former students to help celebrate 50 years of reading 'riting and 'rithmatic. This year will mark half a century of life at Stowmarket High School, Gainsborough Road, and the school is making sure it goes down in history.
A SUFFOLK school is today tracking down former students to help celebrate 50 years of reading 'riting and 'rithmatic.
This year will mark half a century of life at Stowmarket High School, Gainsborough Road, and the school is making sure it goes down in history.
A series of events involving past and present staff and pupils have been organised - all adding to a fundraising kitty for scholarships and building work.
David Oliver, headteacher at the school for eight years, said: "I see this time as a stepping stone for the future as well as a testament to the past – a time to look forward as well as back.
You may also want to watch:
"We know a lot of old students have stayed in the area and want as many of them as possible to contact us.
"We want them to participate in all the events, tell us their stories and, if they have any memorabilia, let us use it in our displays.
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 4 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 5 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 8 15-year-old boy to face trial over alleged Ipswich stabbing
- 9 'It's like we're in the stone age' - Homophobic abuse halts LGBT+ parties
- 10 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
"Of course, contributions to our anniversary fund would be gratefully received."
School governor David Chivers has traced the roots of the school back to the 17th century. The building it stood in on Needham Market's High Street is now a solicitor's.
A potted history of the school is being produced this year while a more detailed one is planned for 2009, in time for the centenary of the school's foundation in the town.
The school, catering for 1063 students, is also in the process of applying for specialist technology status.
Events planned for the year include a commemorative tree planting, church services, a gala concert, a sports afternoon, a golf tournament with former pupil and professional Duncan Burl, a dinner with Suffolk MP David Ruffley and a fashion show featuring clothes through the ages.
Money raised will be put towards awarding music and sport scholarships to pupils and building work at the school. A new sports field or a performance area are in the pipeline.
What are your memories from Stowmarket High School? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or send us an e-mail to email@example.com