Second day of Felixstowe Carnival cancelled due to bad weather
- Credit: Stephen Squirrell
Day two of Felixstowe Carnival has been cancelled over health and safety fears as strong winds blast the seaside town.
A message on the popular carnival’s Facebook page, posted this morning, said the events planned for today had been cancelled following ‘safety advice’.
This includes the fireworks display, which was due to take place at 10pm tonight at Felixstowe Pier.
Julie Bellamy, chairman of Felixstowe Carnival said: “We have had to cancel day two under heath and safety grounds - the wind is very strong here.
“We have had quite a lot of rain this morning and now the winds are getting stronger and stronger.
“We had to take down some of the temporary structures we had put up and it is not safe to set the fireworks up.
“The decision has been made with everyone’s safety in mind.”
- 1 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Appeal to find 33-year-old missing man
- 4 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 5 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 6 Drug addict stole £7,000 from safe at auction house
- 7 Nursing class looking to reunite after four decades
- 8 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 9 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 10 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
Mrs Bellamy added that yesterday’s carnival events were a huge success, with hundreds enjoying the sunshine and festivities.
This morning’s The Facebook post reads: “Ladies and gents, it is with great regret that following safety advice we have had to cancel today’s events.
“This will include the fireworks display as the wind speeds are too high to safely set up.
“We know you will all be as disappointed as we are and we are so sorry that this has happened today.
“The Felixstowe Carnival is run entirely by volunteers who do what they do for the love of Carnival.
“We have been asked my the public about the opportunity of setting up a Just Giving page for donations, this is something we will arrange in the near future for those who wish to make a donation to allow future Carnival events to continue to take place.”