Security van raid in Suffolk
A MAJOR manhunt was launched after an armed raid on a security van at a service station in Suffolk.A masked robber brandishing a handgun approached a Securicas UK van, threatened staff and escaped with an unknown amount of cash.
A MAJOR manhunt was launched after an armed raid on a security van at a service station in Suffolk.
A masked robber brandishing a handgun approached a Securicas UK van, threatened staff and escaped with an unknown amount of cash.
The raid happened on the forecourt of the Esso garage in Field Road, Mildenhall, just after 5.30pm yesterday .
The robber, who was wearing a black balaclava, threatened the driver of the van and demanded he handed over cash from inside. Securicas staff then handed over the money and he made his getaway on foot.
You may also want to watch:
Last night, scenes of crime officers were scouring the area for clues, while detectives spoke to those who had been in the security van as well as any witnesses nearby.
A Suffolk police spokesman said: "We are in the early stages of this investigation and anyone with any information, anyone who witnessed anything or saw anyone acting suspiciously should ring Suffolk police."
- 1 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 2 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 3 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 4 Man caught with indecent images of children avoids jail
- 5 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
- 6 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 7 Cyclist suffers injuries after crash in Ipswich
- 8 New Oasis Lounge bar planned for former Waterfront gym site
- 9 WATCH: Family of wild foxes caught on camera in Ipswich garden
- 10 Man smashed ATM screen at service station after not receiving cash
He added: "The driver was threatened by what appeared to be a handgun. A quantity of cash was handed over. No shots are fired and there are no reports of anyone being injured."
It is the third time the service station has been at the centre of a robbery investigation. In February 2000 and May 2001, raiders stole cash from the till and were later arrested and jailed.
The robber involved in last night's incident is described as being 6ft 2in tall, wearing a black balaclava, black jacket and jeans.
No one from Securicas was available for comment last night
Anyone with any information should contact Suffolk Police on 01473 613500.