See photos of the former Fisons
PUBLISHED: 08:00 18 February 2017 | UPDATED: 10:02 20 February 2017
Fisons was one of the largest companies in Suffolk for many years - but disappeared from the scene in the 1990s.
It had been founded as a fertilised company in Victorian times as Edward Packard and Sons – but after buying James Fison and Co from Thetford in 1919 it became Packard and Fison.
In 1942 the name was shortened to Fisons, and for the next 40 years it was a leading fertiliser and peat manufacturer – branching out into pharmaceuticals.
In 1982 the fertiliser business was sold to Norsk Hydro and the company concentrated on pharmaceuticals.
During the 1980s the company was one of the largest pharmaceutical giants in Britain making asthma drugs – and it was listed on the Stock Exchange.
Although the company’s products were not manufactured in Ipswich the company’s headquarters remained at Princes Street in the town.
Fisons were the main sponsors of Ipswich Town from 1986 to 1995.
The former Fisons fertiliser departments continued to make products at Levington and at Paper Mill Lane at Bramford, but those wound down several years ago.