Sentry duty - Ipswich-style
ONE day it will be the buildings they are helping to construct which will give Ipswich a whole new skyline.But for now these giant cranes dominate the night sky like enormous sentries standing guard over the revolution that is happening hundreds of feet below.
ONE day it will be the buildings they are helping to construct which will give Ipswich a whole new skyline.
But for now these giant cranes dominate the night sky like enormous sentries standing guard over the revolution that is happening hundreds of feet below. This stunning image was captured by the Evening Star's Stephen Doick from the car park of the newspaper's offices in Lower Brook Street.
Those Evening Star 24 readers who now live away from the town, possibly in some far off corner of the world, couldn't possibly contemplate the scale of the work which is moving on at pace on the former dockland area of the town.
From the moment the demolition teams moved in at the end of 2006, the redevelopment of the Ipswich Waterfront has been the most fascinating show in town.
You may also want to watch:
Those of us who drive along Star Lane every day get a front row seat. Each day it is possible to make out new shapes as the smart apartment blocks, the new university and a host of retail buildings gradually rising from the old wharfside.
Anyone returning after a long stint away from the town will soon have trouble recognising the place as it takes on a stunning new vibrant look.
- 1 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 2 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 3 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 4 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 5 Man jailed after safe stolen from Spread Eagle pub
- 6 Superhero send off planned for 'charismatic and cheeky' Alexander, 15
- 7 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 8 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 9 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 10 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage