Serious rail delays in Suffolk tonight after Norwich to London Liverpool Street train breaks down near Needham Market
- Credit: Lucy taylor
Rail services were seriously delayed or cancelled in the region on Wednesday night after a train broke down between Ipswich and Stowmarket.
The 8pm Norwich to London Liverpool Street train broke down near Needham Market due to a defect on the train, Abellio Greater Anglia (AGA) said.
A replacement train arrived at the scene and towed it to Ipswich.
Despite the broken down train being rescued, services from Ipswich to London Liverpool Street are still delayed.
The 8.30pm Norwich to London Liverpool Street is delayed at Diss, meaning passengers in Ipswich are still waiting for the 9.09pm service to London Liverpool Street.
You may also want to watch:
Disruption is expected to last until at least 11.30pm.
In a statement, AGA said: “Following a broken down train earlier today between Stowmarket and Ipswich all lines have now reopened.
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 4 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 5 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 6 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 7 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 8 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 9 Cardinal Practice 'access issues' to be discussed at key NHS meeting
- 10 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
“Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed by up to 90 minutes or revised.
“The 8pm from Norwich to Liverpool Street has broken down near Needham Market between Stowmarket and Ipswich due to a defect on the locomotive, a replacement locomotive is being resourced from Ipswich to bring the train forward to Ipswich.
“The replacement locomotive is now attached to the broken down 20:00 from Norwich to Liverpool Street and the train is on way to Ipswich where it has now terminated.
“As a result services from Norwich to Liverpool Street from Cambridge to Ipswich and Peterborough to Colchester are being delayed.
“The 8.30pm and 9pm services from Norwich to Liverpool Street have been delayed between Diss and Stowmarket and are now on the move to Liverpool Street.
“The 9.38pm from Harwich International to Lowestoft will start at Ipswich.
The line is open for journeys from Ipswich towards Norwich however the 10.30pm from Liverpool Street to Norwich is cancelled.
“Journey times will be extended by up to 90 minutes. There is no firm estimate yet of how long disruption will last but it is likely to continue until at least 11.30pm.
“Abellio Greater Anglia and Network Rail are sorry if your journey has been affected by this disruption.”