Seven years for drug smuggler
CUSTOMS officers in Suffolk today vowed to continue their war on drugs after a cocaine smuggler was sentenced to seven years in prison.Wayne Logan, a 38-year-old construction engineer resident in Amsterdam, was jailed for 7 years at Chelmsford Crown Court.
CUSTOMS officers in Suffolk today vowed to continue their war on drugs after a cocaine smuggler was sentenced to seven years in prison.
Wayne Logan, a 38-year-old construction engineer resident in Amsterdam, was jailed for 7 years at Chelmsford Crown Court.
He had pleaded guilty to being involved in smuggling a kilo of cocaine into Harwich.
The drugs hidden in plastic toy boat were found when customs in Harwich intercepted Logan on May 29 this year. Investigators based in Ipswich were then called in.
You may also want to watch:
Logan was a foot passenger on the morning ferry from the Hook of Holland. When his bag was examined a boxed toy was found. Inside the box, the plastic toy boat had been cut and partly removed. In its place the cocaine, sealed and wrapped parcel tape, was discovered.
The cocaine, just under one kilo, has a street value of nearly £60,000.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 3 'Gutted' Ipswich burger van man loses everything in fire devastation
- 4 Man left with life-changing injuries following stabbing in Ipswich
- 5 Mum opens eco-friendly refill store thanks to savings and public donations
- 6 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 7 Heavy police presence spotted in Ipswich as man arrested
- 8 'Controlling' man locked girlfriend in house
- 9 New Starbucks drive thru set to open in Ipswich
- 10 Stuck Suez Canal ship delayed to Felixstowe after arriving in Rotterdam
After yesterday's sentencing John Barber, customs spokesman said: "Criminals using the cover of children to smuggle their contraband is nothing new.
"We've seen class A drugs hidden in sweets, toys and pushchairs in the past. No matter how hard they try to hide them we will endeavour to find them."