Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 13°C

min temp: 9°C

Search

Two men arrested as eight people killed in crash involving two lorries and minibus on M1

PUBLISHED: 11:49 26 August 2017 | UPDATED: 15:19 26 August 2017

Eight people have died after a crash involving two lorries and a minibus on the southbound carriageway of the M1. Picture: @ItsOllieYT/PA Wire

Eight people have died after a crash involving two lorries and a minibus on the southbound carriageway of the M1. Picture: @ItsOllieYT/PA Wire

Eight people have been confirmed dead after a crash on a busy motorway involving two lorries and a minibus.

Emergency services were called to reports of a three vehicle collision on the southbound carriageway of the M1, near Newport Pagnell, between junctions 15 and 14 shortly before 3.15am.

The crash involved a minibus and two lorries which were travelling in the same direction.

Thames Valley Police said that eight people have died and four people, including one child, have been taken to hospital.

Two men have been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving. They are both currently in custody.

A 31-year-old man from Worcestershire has been arrested on suspicion of one count of causing death by dangerous driving and one count of driving a motor vehicle when alcohol level above limit.

A 53-year-old man from Stoke-on-Trent was also arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

Chief Inspector Henry Parsons, from the joint operations unit for roads policing, said: “Emergency services are continuing to work at the scene and road closures remain in place.

“We are aware there are a number of large-scale events taking place this weekend and this closure is likely to have a significant impact on traffic disruption, so please allow extra time for your journeys.

“Our thoughts are very much with the families of those involved in this morning’s collision and we are currently working to locate and inform their next of kins.

“I would appeal to anyone who witnessed the collision and has not yet spoken to officers to please contact us.

“Anyone who has any information which could assist the investigation should call the 24-hour Thames Valley Police inquiry centre on 101 quoting URN 214 of 26/8.”

The motorway is closed southbound between junctions 14 and 15, and motorists are being advised to avoid the area.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Millions of pounds of cutbacks for council services in Suffolk next year have been revealed – with homes facing further council tax rises for the next three years.

Suffolk police is seeking an ‘inspirational’ replacement for its outgoing chief constable.

An academy trust which has come under fire from concerned parents is to relinquish control of two Felixstowe schools amid government pressure.

A man has died following a road traffic collision on the A12 near Darsham.

Delays and cancellations are expected from London Liverpool Street services to East Anglia after a points failure.

A holiday lodge park in Suffolk which opened last year has won a diamond award for its exceptional quality and outstanding customer service.

Ipswich residents are being urged to be vigilant following a distraction burglary in which a purse was stolen from an elderly couple.

Warnings of a deluge of snow in the next two weeks are not to be believed, a weather forecaster has warned.

Suffolk police are appealing for witnesses after an assault left a man with a broken jaw.

MPs from across Suffolk and north Essex were still waiting to hear details of the Prime Minister’s Brexit deal for most of Wednesday – but the area’s only Labour MP warned there was “zero chance” of the agreement getting support from the House of Commons.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Ipswich Star daily newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

MyDate24 MyPhotos24