Traffic back to normal following severe delays after car flips onto roof on Orwell Bridge
One lane of the A14 over the Orwell Bridge was closed after a Ford Fiesta rolled over onto its roof on the westbound carriageway.
There were severe delays in the area – with an average speed of five miles per hour – while police arranged recovery for the vehicle.
Three fire crews from Ipswich East and Princes Street were also called to initial reports that the driver had become trapped – but they were able to get out and were not seriously hurt, a police spokesman said.
Officers shut the bridge after being called to the scene at approximately 10.24am before re-opening one lane at around 10.45am.
They worked with engineers from Highways England to carry out an investigation at the scene and ease delays for drivers.
You may also want to watch:
Both lanes had been reopened shortly before noon.
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 7 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 8 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 9 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 10 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea